Recommendations: Guitar Stores in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sub City, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Sub City

Sub City Supporting Member

I'll be in Atlanta the last week of September. I used to live there back in 1997. Can anyone recommend any good guitar stores to check out? I remember Frank at Atlanta Vintage; is that still the only game in town for vintage?

2. yumanike

yumanike Member

You may want to check out Maple Street Guitars. They don't have a huge selection, but what they have is usually pretty good stuff.

3. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

The guys up at Atlanta Discount Music off Peachtree Industrial have some nice used stock from time to time, and a great selection of amps. Also Midtown Music off North Druid Hills has some good guitars, but I've been less impressed with their staff. Boutique Guitar Exchange off North Highland has a great selection, mainly new stuff.

4. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

I've always had great experiences with their staff. It's been a "plug it in and play as long as you like" place as far as I've been able to tell. Bought a Super Reverb there four or five years ago that has done me right.

5. soli528

I hear ya, that is a nice thing, but I actually felt like they labeled me "tire-kicker" from the moment I asked to plug in a Nocaster, and when I asked about the price, I got a response something like "The price is what it is- maybe you should be looking somewhere else." So I did. Could've just been a bad day.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Atlanta vintage is still there with Frank Moates, Used stuff variety at Midtown, Galaxy Music in Snellville past Stone Mountain on 78. Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta, Vintage Music in Dahlonega. Atlanta Music Brokers, Dirt Cheep Music near Atlanta Vintage,3 GC stores, Atlanta Discount, Ken Stanton, Firehouse Guitars in Decatur.

7. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Hmm, interesting. I was about 19 or 20 when I bought that amp, so I can't imagine anyone could have looked like more of a tire kicker than me. Hopefully it was, in fact, just a bad day.

8. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Atlanta Music Discount. These dudes are awesome and always have really great boutique stuff. Also, checkout Boutique Guitar Exchange in the Highlands.

9. SGdiseree

SGdiseree Member

Galaxy moved out to SR400 recently (Cumming).

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

When my old band was recording our EP in ATL I went to Midtown music and they let me play every Historic 59 335 they had in there, for like an hour. It kicked ass. They had some killer stuff in there.

11. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

I love Midtown Music. I've always got really great deals from there also. I always look before I buy and he let me play until my heart was content and felt no pressure to buy that day. Midtown has a great selection too, They have more Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Custom Shop than I have ever seen in my life!!! Also Martin, Larrivee, and Gibson Accoustic. Overall they are my favorite. I have also purchased from Atlanta Discount, for pedals and used stuff that is probably a great place, although not a Fulltone dealer and Midtown is. I've always thought their prices on used could be a bit cheaper, but most are probably consigned and the owner of the particular peice wants too much for it. They have Nash, G&L, Reverend, James Trussart guitars and Keeley, Zvex,and other pedals. Boutique Guitar Exchange is also a cool store, They carry more newer models not so much used , Suhr, Nash, Gibson, Parker and some cool boutique amps, such as Samamp. Port City, Suhr, and Bad Cat. Atl Discount carries Goodsell, Matchless, Vox, and has a lot of used amps. Midtown carries Dr. Z, Fender, Victoria, Marshall, Carr, 65 Amps, and I believe they used to sell Two-Rock but not sure about that anymore. Anyways just a bit of info.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

Where? That is my neck of the woods.

Oh, and all those stores are good. I have always been treated nicely (and fairly when I needed money) by Dave at Midtown, and I know all the guys at Discount and they treat the whole family like gold despite our pedestrian pawing of their goods. I have bought many guitars and a Goodsell there, seen George's band, etc. Marshall, George and William have been so nice to my daughter, I can't say enough except boy that Dano sparkle is blingerific. And when I needed money, the deal was fair.

Can't comment on the other except Music Brokers as it is in my neighborhood and is a good store. I always seem to come on a busy day, but hey they are a busy store and do a lot of kid lessons. Not that you can't check out gear, but don't think you will crank up on a weekend. Good gear and some unusual amps one time I was there.

Ken Stanton across the street I have an affection for due to Jim; if he still works there. Again, put up with our kid's purchases, wife's musings, and my return to guitar that needless to say after many years was rusty.

My 0.02

13. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I'll just reiterate and say for intown that atlanta discount music, boutique guitar exchange, and midtown music have most of the bases covered. I find service to be best at the first two, however. I grew up right next to midtown and actually worked at the driving range next door for four years in high school. Everytime I went in they would let me play whatever but would give strange looks and short rude comments when I asked for help. I may have been a teenager but at the time I had about $3000 in gear from my high school job and they never got any of that business due to their attitude and air of superiority (were all young at some point)....

14. kingnimrod

kingnimrod Member

+1 on the negative vibe at midtown music. They have some nice guitars there, but I've gotten a chilly reception a few times. They apparently don't understand that excellent customer service pays for itself many times over in the long run. The guys at Atlanta Discount are cool , as well as BGE.

Galaxy, if they still employ the same people, is about the last place I'd recommend anyone going. They sell mostly garbage and are quite abrasive to deal with.

Firehouse has a few decent guitars, but I would call ahead to see if they have something you're looking for. It's not worth a drive from very far away.

Skip Sam Ash and Guitar Center unless you like dealing with total meatheads. The sales people at Sam Ash are destined to be used car dealers, and the sales manager at GC in Atlanta is a condescending jerk.

The local pawn shops are a waste of time.

15. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Midtown is great to deal with. Good prices and good with trades.

16. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Midtown Music is my favorite guitar shop anywhere!

17. soli528

I didn't mean to bash MM, I was only speaking from one experience I had there. Apparently some people have had nothing but good experiences, others less so. I didn't mean to disparage anyone's business, just to be clear!

18. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

I bought a Jeff Beck wrap tail LP and a 336 from Midtown....great to deal with.....and love being able to sit without being hounded and try many high end guitars.....

19. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

midtown is way snobby and unfriendly. i've been in atlanta for 14 years, have a pile of nice gear. never have and never will buy a thing from them. they act like they're doing you a favor when you walk in or ask one of 'em a question. this has gotten worse and worse since they went "boutique" a few years back.

great inventory though. if you want a nice fender, they are it.

otherwise i would go to BGE (super, super friendly) or ATL discount. especially BGE for the more exotic "TGP flavor-du-jour" type of stuff. bought my port city cab there. oh, and tell Ede i sent you!

20. Glide

Glide Member

I thought Ede left.