Recommendations on a clean boost pedal other than RC Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave s, Jul 30, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s Member

Really like the RC Boost. I was intending to use it with the gain on zero and the volume wide open. However, the amount of volume appears to be linked directly to the gain control so not much in the way of true clean volume boost is available with the gain control on zero.

What other pedal options are out there that provide true clean boost without adding the unwanted gain or overdrive to a clean amp?

BTW, I'm using Matchless Clubman and a VOX AC30CC2 amps and playing strats and tele guitars only.

Some of the pedals I've used already include TIM, ZVEX SHO, Carl Martin Hot Drive n Boost. One thing that is almost manditory on a clean boost pedal is a treble or 'cut' control. The two amps I gig with have that inherent high-end sparkle already, so any pedal that adds high-end is useless to me.

Thanks for you thoughtful recommendations. And please, you can save me research time and money by recommending pedals that are KNOWN to work well with VOX or Matchless amps.

Thanks,

dave

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Catalinbread SCP :dude

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

The new PedalworX Cactus Crunch may be what your looking for - great cleans with some of that matchless meadroom sparkle and treb/bass controls, oh yeah and smoother dirt than youd expect .....:YinYang

4. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Barber Launch pad

Seymour D. Pickup booster (problem in that it starts at 6db). Pretty clean boost

I am going to get the barber instead

5. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

You talk purdy.

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

Legendary Tones/Robert Keeley Time Machine Boost. Or, one of Keeleys pedals is a clean boost (one channel of the TMB) and nothing more. I think it's the Katana?? Anyway the TMB is the best I've ever played.

7. highgeer

highgeer Member

T-Rex Moller; it has a great clean boost and a mild OD in one small box.

Mike

8. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

TC Jauernig Luxury Drive.

Affordable, simple to use...sounds great.

9. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

ZVEX SHO is a nice transparent boost. Klon Centaur can add a little girth...but in a good way. Diamond Pedals make a compressor that does a great job boosting.

10. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

TC Jauernig Luxury Drive (and costs next to nothing)
    Klon (expensive)
    Hotcake with drive at zero makes a great boost (known to wirk very well with Vox AC30)

11. iggs

iggs Member

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

+1000000000000

Its been on my board for almost three years now. Don't see it going anywhere. It's a great pedal. I don't use it all the time, but when I do.. I am glad I have it on my board. Barber's launch pad is also a good choice. Luxury drive is just a smaller casing. I also like the luxury drive better than the zvex sho. You should really search some past threads. This is like the third thread i post the same answer. Good luck.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hotcakes & Hotcake Bluesberry pedals sound great with EL84/EL34 amps... You can set the gain to zero and presence to zero and then boost the volume, it's completely neutral, then dial some presence back in... great stuff.

14. sandman

sandman Member

Oh, Yes!

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Dave, I just got a Crowther Bluedberry to use with my AC30 for od but have learned it can do clean boost as well. For what one costs, I'd consider one as you can use it for more than one thing. It is voiced for a Vox too.

*edit*

I replied before reading the rest of this thread, looks like the Blueberry has more fans than just me. :AOK

16. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I love my Nick Greer Royal Fromage. Great with humbuckers and loads of boost!

17. mild

mild Member

Keeley's Katana is a nice little unit.
    So is Catalinbread's SCP - I like that little guy!

The Hotcakes are great also... I prefer to use them as my base tone that I build off of - just a touch of grit, and hits my DC30/AC30 hard. Only time it ever goes off is for super clean cleans. :)

If I had to pick... I couldn't go without the Hotcake, due to its role as the "Grit Clean"... but out of the Katana, and SCP? Hard choice...

SCP has the buffer party trick, its smaller, and does a wonderful clean boost. It goes up in rather small volume jumps for the first 4/5th's of the knob, and for the last 5th, just floors the volume. (At least mine does... its great!)

Katana can do a grit boost as well as the clean, and has a side mounted knob - a blessing, and a curse, as it is foot adjustable simply by sliding it, or accidentally by bumping it.

All great pedals. Good luck!

18. yannroman

yannroman Member

FD2 when in comp cut mode acts as a great booster, too, huge volume boost! It pushes my Dr.Z MAZ18 (el84) into beautiful overdrive without colouring the original tone.
    You can roll off some highs with the tone knob if needed, and the boost switch offers you a 2nd level of boost.

+ you still have one of the best TS flavoured pedals out there if needed!

19. dave s

dave s Member

TGP'ers,

Thanks a bunch for all the great recommendations on clean boost pedals that would probably work well with my current two gigging amps.

I think I'm going to order a Caitlinbread SCP.

...soon to be for sale: 1 Xotic RC Boost. :jo I'm keepin' the AC!!!

But not until the SCP arrives.

Thanks again.

dave

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

On the low cost side, this earlier published Boss BD-2 Keeley mod has almost no distortion and makes a nice clean boost. You can experiment with C100 (Phat part of mod) for different amounts of thickness using different caps.

Keeley BD-2 Standard + Phat mod [mouser.com part numbers]:
    C1, C15, C6, C13, C7 10UF TANTALUM (I had these)
    C14, C34 .1UF METAL FILM [5989-250V.1-F]
    C36, C35 .047 METAL FILM [5989-250V.047-F]
    C20, C25 100PF SILVER MICA [5982-15-500V100]
    C21, C23 47PF SILVER MICA [5982-5-300V47]
    C22 220PF SILVER MICA [5982-15-500V220]
    C100 (SWITCHABLE - ON TONE POT CIRCUITBOARD)
    .033UF & .068UF [5989-250V.033-F] [5989-250V.068-F]
    D9 – install jumper