• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommendations on tube vendor

LPV

Looking to pick up a 5751 and 12ay7. Where's the best place to shop ? Any tube dealers here ?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
There is a sticky at the top of the amps and cabs forum page (from which you posted) with tons of info in it.

There is a sticky at the top of the amps and cabs forum page (from which you posted) with tons of info in it.
Here's the link: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1197164
Lots of good sources listed there.

I buy from many people, including my amp builder. With that said,
I'll second Mike from KCA. I've got some really sweet NOS tubes from him,
And he sells some new production tubes as well.He's a helpful wealth of knowledge for this forum, so he's a go to guy for me.

I'll also mention Doug's tubes as some one that I got good batches of tubes from. And for JJ tubes, consider Bob from eurotubes. And Terry "the tube tramp" Kilgore is worth a mention.

There are a lot of variables to consider when buying from a vender.
I like to buy from credible tube enthusiasts that do their own testing.

When you get tubes from a "big box" chain store, you get mostly tubes that
Were only tested at the factory. My experience is a higher failure rate.

In some cases, you can get "Ruby" branded tubes from the big box stores. Ruby buys/distributes tubes from various manufacturers and "rebrands" them as Ruby tubes. Ruby does a good level of testing.I've had good luck with ruby tubes.

Just realize that the level of support and information that you'll get from a chain store in most cases is nil.
And many of the guys on the vender list sell Ruby tubes.

For me, the personnel relationship and abundance of information and advice that I can get from the trusted mom and pop tube vendors makes choosing one of them a no brainer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

vmjoe

All mentioned are good sources. If you want NOS tubes in particular, Hi Test Guitars is a very good source. He has all NOS (no ANOS) tubes that come in their original boxes. The only thing I don't like is that he has no medern technology as far as how to pay. You decide what you want or call and ask his opinion, he then tells you the price + shipping and you mail a check or money order.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
All mentioned are good sources. If you want NOS tubes in particular, Hi Test Guitars is a very good source. He has all NOS (no ANOS) tubes that come in their original boxes. The only thing I don't like is that he has no medern technology as far as how to pay. You decide what you want or call and ask his opinion, he then tells you the price + shipping and you mail a check or money order.
Yep, he is an old school Joisy Boy. Good tubes, good prices, good service

Hound Dog61

Recently I have purchased some tubes from the tube depot. Actually had an issue with a JAN 5751 and they have went out of their way to make it right. Good selection and good service, worth checking out.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Tube depot hasn't steered me wrong- but I use all current production tubes

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Go down to the Thrifty Drug store and go to the tube testor. OOOPS wrong century!

Lullabies

since your in Canada too I would say check out the Tube Store website. always fast shipping and they have a big variety of tubes

Located near Toronto

Trending Topics

Top Bottom