Recommendations requested for an 8-string guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by philiprst, Apr 23, 2015.

1. philiprst

philiprst Member

I have been experimenting with a 7 string for the past year and I am very interested in acquiring an 8 string guitar. Since I am not absolutely sure about how I will take to playing an 8 string I do not want to go with a custom build. Rather I am looking for a production guitar at a price point around $1500 and hopefully closer to $1200.

Apart from the tone, which only I can really judge, my highest priority is to get something with good quality finish, fretwork, solid hardware and can be set up well. It does not need to have fancy cosmetics or sophisticated electronics. Since I am likely to swap out the pickups at some later time it does not have to have the high end pickups to start with. If am am spending money on pickups, I would rather choose my own.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

Have you tried a Schecter Hellraiser 8?

Also, I've heard good things about Agile guitars, never played one though.

There's also the Ibanez TAM10, which is a budget version of Tosin Abasi's signature.

3. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I have an Ibanez S8QM that I like. It goes for around $800-$850. I should note that I am not a metal head - though I do occasionally enjoy that genre. I have found my 8-string to be a delightful source of clean sound open string/partial chord phatness. It will take some practice time to become adjusted to the wide neck and chord forms for the lower 2 strings.

4. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Member

Schecter and Ibanez have solid offerings, especially for lower price points. In your price range I'd recommend looking at a Carvin DC800, which should be of excellent quality. They start at 1,049 right now, so you have room to add a couple options or different pickups. I'd recommend stainless steel frets so that the great fretwork stays in tact for a long time to come; maybe forever.

5. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I chose an Ibanez M80M. The only other 8-string in that price range that appealled to me was the Carvin V8 Vader, but I still had some reservations. I'm not even really a metal player these days, but I dabble and wanted to see what I could do musically with the extra range. The 29" scale length, Lundgren pickup, and no-BS looks really drew me in. I just got it the other day, and am still getting used to playing it, but it is a lot of fun. Very light (7lbs), will need a fret polish and different string gauge, but overall happy-

[​IMG]

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

That looks really badass Matt L.

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Thanks Blix. I also love just looking at it.

8. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Member

If you want to buy new I would recommend an Ibanez RG852. This model is a Prestige model, MIJ, and can be setup freakishly well!

Ironically, 8 years after the first production model 8 string guitar was released, every major string manufacturer has yet to put together a decent pack of strings for a 27" scale length 8 string guitar. Fortunately, we have Circle K/Kalium Strings. http://circlekstrings.com/store/ I would start with a .09 - .86 set but as you will see there are many options. I currently use a set of .10 - .82 gauge strings on my Ibanez RG2228 but have experimented with many gauges over the years. In case you are wondering, I am not affiliated with Circle K Strings in any way. I just use what works.

I'll let you figure out pickups but I'll put in a good word for a pair of EMG 808x's. They are some of the best pickups I've ever used out of all the 6/7/8 string active/passive pickups I've tried. Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision making!

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Rondo has a huge selection of Agile 8 strings, including ones that come stock with US made EMGs.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I second the M80M recommendation;
    [​IMG]

11. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

My 8-string is an Agile multi-scale. You may prefer normal scale, which they make as well, and they are well-built.

12. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Carvin- 10 day no questions asked return policy is hard to beat.

The Ibanez TAM 10 is pretty cool too.

13. Promit

Promit Member

If you just want to taste one, look for one of the basic Ibanez 8 strings - these are relatively easy to find in stores even. If you actually want to commit to buying a guitar in that price range, Carvin Carvin Carvin - with Kiesel pickups. Or if you really prefer EMGs, Schecter has some great options.

14. philiprst

philiprst Member

Thanks so much everyone. Great advice!

15. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I love my Carvin DC800. The feel and playability is awesome! Having said that, I'm actually looking at a Hellraiser with Floyd Rose... as I want a whammy bar.