Recommendations wanted: studio monitors to use with Line 6 Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hooligangorilla, Jul 5, 2019.

1. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Looking for recommendations on some studio monitors that I can play my Line 6 Helix through at home... ones that will sound good reproducing the patches I've already dialed in for PA systems in live situations.

My goal is NOT to have to dial in separate sets of patches for home practice and live use (although I know people recommend this if you want your tones to be perfect).

Ideally looking for something in a small space, so 4-inch or 5-inch drivers, preferably front-ported - and I don't care if they're not top-of-the-line as long as they work well enough. I've been looking at Tannoy Reveal 502s which are currently the frontrunner, Presonus Eris (I like the fact that these have onboard EQ), JBLs, KRKs and even Pioneer DM-40s. Are there other good ones out there that you like with your modelers? What do you recommend?

FWIW I don't play any super high-gain metal, if that's a factor.

P.S. I sincerely apologize if others have posed the same question in previous threads - I promise I looked before posting!

2. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

The bad news...it just doesn't work that way.
    You've got the horse riding in the cart.

Imagine that you took multitracks to clubs every night and mixed them to sound great through the PA.
    You wouldn't likely end up with a mix that sounded good in a studio (on the radio).

CONVERSELY....if you had a great mix engineer mix on good studio speakers in a good listening environment....the mix SHOULD sound good on a well tuned (for that room PA).
    One reason mix engineers generally listen to familiar mixes through a PA when setting up.

Studio monitors and poorly treated rooms are always going to have gaps in the tone.
    You need monitors where a WHOLE mix sounds good in a reliable predictable way.
    Make sounds that work in that context and you are likely to have something that 'works' through a PA (but you still have to check for extreme differences that you couldn't hear on your studio monitors.

3. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Thanks for the detailed reply. I get what you're saying and it's great insight. For context, I'm currently playing my Helix at home through crap 1.5-inch $25 computer speakers that buzz and rattle every time I go for slight overdrive at low volume... it's the farthest thing from professional mixing. I set up my Helix patch tones to sound good live through a few decent PA-in-room configurations where I play, and I make minor tweaks depending on venue. At this point, ANYTHING would be better than what I have now for home practice. I thought studio monitors would be better than buying an FRFR cab because a) I want to keep costs down and b) stereo is important to me. It doesn't have to sound incredible or professional-grade... just passable for me to practice without totally re-EQ-ing all my patches. Surely that's attainable? Or maybe what you're saying is that it doesn't really matter which monitors or speakers I get, if they all do what they're supposed to do in making a whole mix (my Helix tones included) predictably sound good?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Member

To not make it to complicated, for stereo home practice you can use Helix Native into your stereo, headphones or speakers, after all that is how you listen to music, right? There is a 30% summer sale on an already low price for Helix owners.

hooligangorilla likes this.
  5. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

I use JBL LSR305s for playing at home and I really like the sound I get out of these. Highly recommended if you do not want to spend too much.

I played through a fairly high quality hifi system before that and while playing music always sounded good through it, playing guitar through it vs the JBLs is no contest at all. I have no idea why exactly this is. This is not only barely noticeable but for me it was a difference like night and day.

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

I'm using Yamaha HS7s and they sound absolutely amazing. I never have to tweak them when running through the PA.

I know you said 4 or 5 inch speakers but I think with that small you might have to tweak between home and PA slightly as they would probably be low on the bass end.

7. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Focal Alpha 50s, tons of low end for a 5inch

8. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

I monitor through a Prosonus Eris E8. It sounds great to me and my patches sound good live.

9. Ejay

Ejay Member

What @John Mark Painter says!
    Reference monitors are designed to create sounds that works on everything...car, phone,pa,headphones.
    Even with those it takes experience to do so...never mention the impact of a room theyre in.
    I cant count the number of times where a great sounding mix in the studio didnt work that well on other setups.....that was my user error obviously, not the tools.

But..the good news is...If you dial your sounds consitently, with the same “mistakes” on every preset...a foh engineer can compensate for all your sounds with one eq setting.

My advice would be to dial in on reference monitors, record yourself, and playback through different speakers. Car, phone, pa...etc. That will reveal any mistakes you made, and will allow you to discover what it needs to sound like on your monitors to work everywhere.
    And dont sweat it to much...if the core of your sound is right, foh should be able to work with it fine...

Check the genelec 3010 (and up) series.

10. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

I have been caught out badly because I prepared patches in a small room with huge low frequency resonant modes (relative -30db Null at 110Hz, + 20db Node at 132Hz) and that really does screw up your perception of what a patch sounds like.

Something lower price that may help is a dedicated near-field monitor system rather than the larger speakers - and I mean on the desk top near-field so the direct sound is much louder than the room reflections. I had them but could hear a huge difference compared to my bigger speakers and I was trusting the big cost ones over the little ones because they got to be better right? Got some room treatment and the bigger reference speakers are now sounding much better and much closer to the sound of the near-field reference monitors!

You might consider: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

11. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Decent studio monitors are cheap now, though great ones cost a ton. Buying something in the $300-500 range would be fine, and just live with the sound diff from your live setup. It won't be that huge for practice and relaxation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  12. Yeah

Yeah Member

I just tested a bunch of monitors at my local store. I really wanted the Yamaha HS8 but they’re much too big for my desk, so I ended up getting a pair of HS5’s brand new out the door for $270. They sound amazing. So much better than the Samson 6.5 monitors I was previously using. If you’re looking for a smaller size I recommend the HS5.

MusicLaw and hooligangorilla like this.
  13. voi666

voi666 Member

depending on where you live -> Swissonic ASM5 or 7 ... best bang for buck.

14. dshow

dshow Member

Another Yamaha HS user here - HS8 in my case - yeah they are big but they sound good :)

MusicLaw and hooligangorilla like this.
  15. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

A big challenge for guitar tones is the crossover frequencies combined with different low and low mid slosh.
    Find something you can listen to music on and go from there.

16. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Does your local store do online sales? Because $270 for a set of HS5s is really, really good.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  17. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Had the Yamaha HS8, JBL LSR308, and JBL305 plus JBL LSR10 Sub to use A/B/C for about a month. For me the JBLs prevailed. As much as I liked the Yamahas, the JBLs' sound field and imaging is amazing and their price was too compelling. The HS8 went back. Kept both sets of JBLs and the Sub. I use the LSR305s for close near field, the LSR8s for slightly wider and farther near field. Subsequently, added a set of Yamaha DXR10 as Main Monitors (which also work great as wedges or on stands/poles as backline). YMMV.

18. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Get a pair of Genelecs if you can swing it. I've had the tiny 6010's and currently have pair of 8020's sitting on my desktop. They sound very good and have a nice, aesthetically pleasing small footprint.

19. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Final follow-up here to close the loop: I scored a pair of the new Presonus Eris e5-XTs for an obscenely low price and figured if they weren't great with the Helix I could at least use them for listening to music. Well, I can report that they sound awesome with the Helix. They offer some fine-tuning options on the back which are useful for people like me who want to avoid fine-tuning within the Helix itself in order to ensure consistency with my practice setup and the PA system I'm using live.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful advice.

20. Promit

Promit Member

thomasjg likes this.