Recommended power monitors in the $400-600 range (pair)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gasp100, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Is this an unrealistic budget for good, solid, quiet, powerful powered studio monitors for home studio use? In particular, I'm routing my AxeFX standard through my line ins on my audio interface -> power amp -> Tannoy Reveals (old Red ones, nice but the bass is hyped and one tweeter is going - it's probably impossible to find someone to fix it now).
    I need better headphones as well, so I might start there and just deal for a while. I don't think I can justify (or afford) $1K+ for a pair of monitors, although this really IS my amp at this point.
    I'm leaning towards powered monitors so I could reuse my Alesis RA100 power amp as a "live" amp rig with the AxeFX as well.

2. KPO

KPO Member

Behringer Truth B2031, in europe about €350,- a pair.

3. shawntp

shawntp Member

I like the KRK's too - I jumped around over the years but KRK always has great sub-1K Monitors. I would recommend the V-Series probably from my experiences though - I seem to think they are good for the price. Since the VXT's came out recently you might find a good deal on used or leftover V6's.

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I was considering those, but I'm not sure I want super neutral monitors or not with the AxeFX. Maybe that's exactly what I need, I'm not sure. I guess having the option to play it through nice, neutral monitors would be good (because I can also use them to mix and monitor recording) and then running the output 2 straight to a power amp/cab with the cab sims turned off when I want to use it more like an amp.
    Thanks for the suggestions all, I will check them out.

5. stump

stump Member

I run my Line6 Pod XTL through Behringer 2031A's and have run it through the KRK RP5 and RP8. All 3 work very well and seem to translate my presets to a live PA or my stereo power amp 212 stereo cab nicely. At home I plug in XTL- Mackie 1202 mixer- powered speakers. It's a pretty sweet practice rig, I've even run guitar, bass, vocals and electronic drums through it for a quiet band practice rig.

6. funkle

funkle Member

I haven't tried many alternatives, but I like my Genelec 1029Aa.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm receiving my AxeFx tomorrow, and I've been thinking about speaker options. I'm going to wait for the Fractal speaker thingey, but I'll be trying my Genelecs and a guitar power amp/2x12 as well.

I ordered a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 interface, which will also work like a mixer so I can run the AxeFx and computer into the same speakers with out using DAW monitoring.