Recommended Power Supply for this board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RichScot, Sep 2, 2019.

1. RichScot

RichScot Member

Apart from getting a full on (and very expensive GigRig) individual power supply setup. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to live with 2 x power supply units underneath in order to get 12 individual (and isolated) power supplies for the pedals on the main board, and 2 x 18v supplies for the whammy and the Trio?

Any recommendations for what I'm needing?

Edit: actually just found the Walrus Audio Phoenix 2 which seems to do what I need. Anyone used this before?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-.../walrus-audio-phoenix-230v-clean-power-supply

[​IMG]

2. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

What about the new Cioks DC7 combined with a Strymon Ojai (can run off the 24v tap from the DC7) or a couple of Gigrig isolators?

3. Timtam

Timtam Member

Look up the current draw for each of your pedals. The output on the supply it's connected to has to be able to supply at least as much and ideally somewhat more current than the pedal's current spec (at its specified voltage and polarity). The total of all the current draws also has to be below the supply's total deliverable current.

Suggestions that don't take this into account are hit or miss. Come back with a list of pedals, with voltages and current draws; then we'll have enough info to make recommendations.

4. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I'm using a OneSpot Pro CS-12 to power 12 pedals of varying power requirements.

9v, each on their own:

Strymon El Capistan
    Whammy DT
    Alexander F-13N

12v, each on their own:

Boss BF-2
    Mooer Elady

9v, daisy chain:

Mr Black Shepard's End
    Boss DM-2w
    Boss TR-2
    Boss BD-2
    Boss DS-1
    Boss TU-3
    Dunlop CGB95 Cry Baby

That arrangement works for me with no problems and I still have 2 x 18 taps, 1 x 9v variable current (for battery starve), 2 x 9v 500mA and 1 x 9v AC left over.

Got mine from Andertons, too. :)

kdm1218 likes this.
  5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

So instead of using the 9v outputs how are you daisy chaining all those boss effects power?

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Yea, the Phoenix has 8 outputs that are limited to 100ma. You’ll need to check that against your pedals.

That’s why I’d prefer a Strymon Zuma + Ojai solution. 14 isolated outputs @ 500ma each, 2 (or 4 with the R30) 9/12/18v switchable outputs, 1 power cord coming out from the board.

kdm1218 and dpgreek like this.
  7. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

The daisy chain is connected to one of the CS-12 9v outputs.

8. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Are you going to put the Trio+ on the board? That thing is a power hog requiring 800 mA.

9. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

So youre using one of those 1spot multiplugs? Doesnt that introduce a bunch of noise vs using isolated outputs?

10. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

No noise. The PSU is isolated and each output can handle the current drain. The PSU itself is quiet, since it's a switching unit rather than transformer. Not had a moment's problem.

I would have bought a second PSU one in a heartbeat if daisy chaining from one of the outputs gave me problems, but I thought it was worth giving the daisy chain a shot for the small amount of money involved.

kdm1218 likes this.
  11. RichScot

RichScot Member

So the only pedal I couldn't get the information for was the fulltone 69 red velvet fuzz (not at home for 2-3 weeks to check the manual).

[​IMG]

12. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I think that the Whammy needs 9v AC, my Digitech EX7 does.

13. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

Older versions of the Whammy ran off 9VAC. The latest ones use 9VDC. I think this applies to some other DigiTech pedals as well.

Flogger59 likes this.
  14. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Seeing your list, I’d second this. I used to have a Phoenix and it was fine but the Strymons are light and dead quiet, and will handle even that Trio with a current doubling adapter just fine.

I ran 13 pedals from a Strymon Ojai at one point without noise. It’s just trial and error to see if a certain pedal doesn’t like being daisy chained, but most all dirt pedals are going to have a really low current draw and be fine ma wise. And a good rule is not mixing analog and digital on the same one. I actually was able to successfully daisy two digital delays and a TC sub’n’up mini without noise too.

dpgreek likes this.
  15. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

The fuzz will draw next to nothing at least.

16. RichScot

RichScot Member

No, it sits off board. Think I will just run that and the whammy on separate PSU as that might just end up being a lot easier.

17. Timtam

Timtam Member

Pedal requirements in summary: All should be OK with 9V DC ... no unusual voltages (?) or polarities or AC (?) required. But some high current drawers.

Looks like that the ciokolate would handle everything, including the difficult 800mA required by the Trio+ ....
    Outlet 1: 4-15V DC / 100mA
    Outlet 2-4: 9V DC / 100mA each
    Outlet 5: 18 or 24V DC / 100mA
    Outlet 6-7: 9 or 12V DC / 200mA each
    Outlet 8-9: 9 or 12V DC / 400mA each
    Outlet 10-11: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 400mA
    Outlet 12-13: 9 and 12 or 15V DC / 600mA*
    Outlet 14: 9 or 12V AC / 800mA*
    Outlet 15-16: 9, 12 or 16V AC / 800mA
    * only one of these two sections can be used

So the ciokolate is perhaps the best high-end, single box option. Other options like the CS-12 could also work, particularly if the Trio is run off its own, separate supply. For the budget-constrained, and if one or two 3-6 pedal daisy-chains work OK for the low draw, well-behaved pedals (as has been suggested), then these fully-isolated options at the other end of the cost spectrum would also likely work (keeping total draw under 2000 mA) ...
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_2_pro.htm
    http://vitoosmusic.com/?portfolio_page=power-supply-iso8
    ie 2 x 500 mA rated outputs for the gigrig qmx-8 and one other high current pedal. 300mA outputs for the five next-highest set of current drawers. Daisy chain off 300 mA output for the low drawers.

So I would add a column to the spreadsheet for each supply being considered, showing which of its outputs each pedal would run off for that supply. Then decide. ;)

18. RichScot

RichScot Member

Cool, appreciate the time you've taken to help me out on this. It's taken long enough to plan / buy / arrange the pedals on this board so don't want to screw it up and compromise it now by failing at the last hurdle and buy a crappy PSU.