Recommended tonal experiements I can try without buying anything else?

Davo17

And info on how to use boosters, amp EQ, etc....in different ways.

Basically Im looking for some cool atypical tonal experiments, or things I can try without having to buy anything for the time being. Stuff I might be able to try today and tommorow while sitting around the house.

Ive got a decent assortment of various pedals, and a few little tube amps, as well as several of the major guitar "types", though most are fender based.

As an idea, is it possible to get the great cocked wah sound heard here with a tele into a marshall at 2:35? Or is that a just a semi-hollow into a tweed trick?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I hear the semi-hallow all they way, some EQing with the voicing, but the vibe is all semi ... don't think you can do that without a purchase, but always experiment, you find the best and usually better than you can buy.

dangeroso

The most bang for your buck tonal experiment that you can do without costing you a dime has to be pickup height adjustments.

From Strats to LPs I am often amazed how much it can change your sound.

Davo17

The most bang for your buck tonal experiment that you can do without costing you a dime has to be pickup height adjustments.

From Strats to LPs I am often amazed how much it can change your sound.
I agree, its quite interesting how pups interact. I wonder why adjustable pole pieces never really caught on with single coils. Maybe its the vintage craze.

BCJek

Borrow an EQ pedal and put it in your effects lineup. In front or in the loop, and experiment with it. It will give you an idea of how your amp might sound with some tonestack changes.

It can do the cocked wah sound, too.

FFTT

Try recording with the amp facing a wall at various distances.
Tile bathrooms and concrete stairwells for natural reverb.
Providing you have a capo, try your parts capo'd to hear
your instrument in different keys and timbres.

cram

eq.

the most extreme example is to null out bands of frequency.
so you'd have zero and then full on alternating frequencies.

Doing this will give you a nasally sound. I don't know if it would get you what Homme has going on there, but it hints toward it.

You can get a variety of sounds with mic placement too. Sometimes you can get an alternative sound simply by altering the angle of the mic in the speaker.

Davo17

Adjust & play around with the tone knob(s) on your guitar.
Already done with awesome results, Ive been using a boost with my teles volume and tone about half way up.

Very woody and warm and complex. The tele is growing on me more and more-its just an effective tool.

Davo17

Borrow an EQ pedal and put it in your effects lineup. In front or in the loop, and experiment with it. It will give you an idea of how your amp might sound with some tonestack changes.

It can do the cocked wah sound, too.
Can you give me an idea how to set an EQ? I have the noisy boss eq, but the cocked wah sounds cool.

edit-I forgot, I also have a hendrix wah around somewhere. I never use it though.

Last edited:

Davo17

eq.

the most extreme example is to null out bands of frequency.
so you'd have zero and then full on alternating frequencies.

Doing this will give you a nasally sound. I don't know if it would get you what Homme has going on there, but it hints toward it.

You can get a variety of sounds with mic placement too. Sometimes you can get an alternative sound simply by altering the angle of the mic in the speaker.
cool, I will check it out.

wilto

Get yourself a 120ft guitar cable and place your amp outside (on your neihgbours roof preferably) volume dimed, go back inside and play, all doors and windows closed, for that huge stadium effect!:phones

DC1

Trying picks made of different materials can really change your tone. I use V-picks and they sound a lot different, and better IMO.

dc

DaveKS

Have you tried running in stereo, wet/dry or dual amp OD? Ping/pong delays, modulated delays/reverbs, stereo chorus/flange?

Davo17

Get yourself a 120ft guitar cable and place your amp outside (on your neihgbours roof preferably) volume dimed, go back inside and play, all doors and windows closed, for that huge stadium effect!:phones
I suspect the neighbors wouldn't approve. :cool:

BUT, I do take my amps to work after hours and crank them in long hallways, it sounds awesome even from outdoors.

corn husk bag

I went from medium picks to the thin to thick pillow like ones from V-Pick. Then to the Jazz 3 in Ultex. The Ultex Jazz 3 changed everything for me. I use it and my fingers and love it. I have used the red Jazz 3s off and on over the years, but the Ultex is different. Nobody stocks them anymore! This will only set yo back a couple bucks.:phones

The Hendrix wah should do the cocked wah thing just fine. Now if you have a Univibe type pedal throw that in there too!:idea

Kind Regards,
Steve

Robal

Silver Supporting Member
This depends entirely on what tube amps you have and how their circuits are designed, but if you can do it, jumpering two channels (with a short pedal cable) can open up tone possibilities as you "tune" the channels' gain structure.

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
Take the feet off your cab and put it directly on the ground. Works best on a wood floor.

Trending Topics