Reconing JBL D-120

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwritz, Apr 19, 2015.

1. jwritz

jwritz Member

It's time. Any suggestion on repairing or reconing a Grey #20132 JBL D-120. Cost?

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

The parts cost 80-150$, add a hour or two of labor.

3. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

The OEM recone kits are no longer available, so how obsessive do you want to get with reconing this speaker? TGP user Edgewound is generally considered to be one of the most knowledgeable JBL reconers around, and he can do this correctly. Same with Orange County Speaker Repair. I am sure there are a few others as well. Start with those and get some quotes, see if it is in your budget to have them do it. If not, there are many others who can recone this speaker, it is just a question of the quality of the parts used and how true the finished speaker will be when compared to an original D120.

dsmc80 and smolder like this.
  4. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Thank you so very much for the kind comments.

Here's a response from a customer about his recent D120F recone. He opted for the orange frame Fender/JBL D120F recone which is a K120 in actuality. Recharged magnet was part of the deal, too...

Used with permission, name redacted:

Hey Ken,

Just left a message on your voice mail. Wanted to say again that the re-cone job on the
    gray frame D120F is truly amazing! Unbelievable! The speaker sounds so good, I don't know
    what to do with the rest of my vintage JBL's! Have a pair of like new orange frame D120F's that
    look and sound fantastic, but not as good as the one you just did! If I hadn't seen and heard
    it with my own eyes and ears I don't think I would have believed it. Clearly, recharging the
    magnet back to original strength has a big effect on performance and sound quality.
    And of course the new voice coil, cone, and surround.

The bass response coming off of that speaker is enough to rearrange the house furniture!
    You didn't tell me I should be wearing a seat belt when plugging my guitar into that thing!
    Nearly knocked me out of my chair!

Anyway, couldn't be happier with the recone. Have a second gray frame that is nearly
    as nice as the one I sent you, but the surround is beginning to deteriorate, so of course I'm
    going to want to get that one redone as well. Just can't justify the expense right now.

Totally blown away with the quality of the re-cone. Nice work!
    Talk soon.

Cheers.

San Rafael, Ca

dharmafool, dsmc80 and smolder like this.