Recorde gtr cab with Rode NTV ... WOW! Pls recommend other LD mics for this.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Sep 6, 2004.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I've been using an SM57 to record guitar cabs for years. But I wanted to try something different so I set up my Rode NTV, found a sweet spot about 3 ft from the cab and about 2.5 ft from the floor and hit record. I am blown away at how good it sounds! So open, detailed, balanced and alive sounding! It sounded amazing in the mix. It makes the 57 sounds like you're recording through a pillow. The only draw back to using the NTV is the set up .............. and this it just because I'm lazy.

Here's where I need some recommendations. I want to continue to use a large diaphragm mic on my guitar cab but I don't want to have to set up the power supply and wait for an hour while the tube warms up to it's peak in order to get the best from the mic. What are some other cost friendly ($300 - $400 max, new or used) large diaphragm mics that you guys have used on guitar cabs that are not tube mics and don't require their own power supply.

I'll still use the 57 on lots of tracks ............. probably most tracks. But that LD sound on a guitar cab is just too cool! :dude

Thanks.

BC :)

2. heinz

heinz Guest

Not an LDC, but if you can wait and save up for a Royer 121 that is an amazing mic for elec guitar. But inside the range you mentioned I've had good luck with Studio Projects C1/C3 and the Beyer MC740 (used can be had <$500). Other good options that aren't LDC are Sennheiser 421, Sennheiser E609 (silver not SE), and Beyer M201.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

Hey Heinz!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

AKG 414-not the first choice for a guitar amp but it 'sworked pretty well for me when I want a lagre diaphragm type sound.

5. heinz

heinz Guest

Hi Matte :)

6. straticus

straticus Member

I've heard great things about the Royers. I'd like to have one someday but it's a beyond what I'd like to spend right now. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Keep 'em comin':)

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Check out the Studio Projects C3. It's a multi-pattern LDC and I've gotten some really good results with it recording guitars. Plus, it's in your price range AND it's versatile enough that you'll find yourself using it for other stuff. I do :)

I picked up a Sennheiser e609 today to try out on guitar cabs. I've heard some good things about them.

--chiba

8. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks Chiba, I'll look into the C3. Let me know how things go with the Sennheiser e609. I've been wondering about them too.

BC :)

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Can you post a clip?

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The best LDC I've heard so far on a cab is the Blue Dragonfly. New, they're around $800, but they can be found used for around your price range.

Great mic on a cab, really. Just be careful not to put it too close the way you would a 57.

11. Boogs

Boogs Member

Audio Technica AT3035 - 'bout $175-200 new. fantastic on cabs IMHO.

12. Screamer

Screamer Member

They are actually at GC right now for $399! Well, they were this last weekend. (Labor Day Sale).

13. chad c

chad c Member

Are you sure it wasnt the baby bottle at that price screamer, which is usually around that price, the dragonfly would seem to be a steal at this price

14. Screamer

Screamer Member

It was the Dragonfly, they had Blue Mic cables for around $9 too..If I hadn't just bought an AT 4050 last week I would have snagged one.

Here is another person who stumbled on the find at GC too...look at the fourth post in the thread.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=131119&highlight=Labor+Day