Recorded last night's gig with my H2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bds9487, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bds9487

bds9487 Member

2. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

nice!

was the drumset micked?

3. mindseye

mindseye Member

Sounds perty good!
    I just talked my uncle into geting one, hes a preacher and was looking for a easy way to record his preaching.
    I think it will work great for that!

4. bds9487

bds9487 Member

Only the kick drum and vocals were miked.

5. SGNick

SGNick Member

I guess???

This sounds as close as you can get to what a band sounds like in a bar setting I find! sounds great btw!

6. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

I just ordered one myself, should be here tomorrow. Was that using 90, 120, or surround? (then which direction was pointed fat the band?) Also... any post processing or is this straight off the recorder?

I'm thinking this will a quick fix for crappy camcorder sound. Plus it will be great for rehearsals as well.

Coolness... thanks for sharing the clip.

7. bds9487

bds9487 Member

The H2 was set to 44.1/16 bit and I used the surround setting with the 120 degree side towards the band. I added the 90 degree side about 3db down in Tracktion and ran the whole mix through the Final Mix plug-in in Tracktion.

8. isfahani

isfahani Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record (or is it techno loop) but IMO the mp3 settings on the H2 are f****d as far as high end goes... If you need mp3 tracks you're much better off recording at 44.1/16 bit (at least) and then using software on your comp to convert it.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

9. bds9487

bds9487 Member

I would agree with that. With a 4GB card at 44.1/16 bit I can record over 3 hours in surround mode. Over 6 hours in stereo. I don't see much need to record to mp3 with that kind of capacity.

10. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

So.... what's the deal with the high end in MP3 mode? I was kinda hoping to use that, and just cut it up into separate tracks later.

11. AndrewMartinMusic

AndrewMartinMusic Member

I'm not exactly sure how the "surround" sound works, but I think it might actually be a detriment to the recording. I would say that there is too much room tone and an overall lack of directionality/definition. The quality is really good, in terms of fidelity though. And the band sounds awesome! I would be curious to see how it sounded set to the most directional setting. I'm sure it would still sound plenty "live" just maybe more focused.

12. bds9487

bds9487 Member

I'll upload just the front mics with no post-production when I get home so you can hear the difference.

13. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Technically, the recording sounds fine for an off the wall type live recording. It sounds digital to my ears, but a good tube preamp would warm things right up. As far as the song itself, if that's an original song, try modulating up a whole or 1 1/2 steps for the solo. The song needs some movement. Like "La Grange" modulates up to C from A. Otherwise, cool groove and decent vocal, although I'd like to hear the vocals at the level of the guitar, and the guitar down at the level of the vocals.

14. bds9487

bds9487 Member

The stuff you mention about the song itself is exactly why I wanted to record the band. It's those kinds of things that are hard to get a handle on from the stage. It's much easier hearing it from the audience's perspective. BTW, that's not an original song.

15. isfahani

isfahani Member

Even recording at 320 the H2 seems to cut off the high end above 16k, so that things sound muffled - If you record at 44.1/16 and reencode it to 128 on your comp it will still sound better IMO than 320 on the H2.

High end is also part of what makes things defined spacially in a stereo field, so I am loathe to lose any of it, which is why I don't make mp3 below 256. It's still a compromise, though.

It's not that much of a pain to use another encoder to do this after you edit the .wav's, I use soundforge and it will save files in mp3... Dunno about other apps.

16. bds9487

bds9487 Member

17. doublee

doublee Member

That tune is by Lonnie Mack. He also did it with SRV on a record...

18. isfahani

isfahani Member

lol

Yeah a tube pre would make it sound better - so would some light mastering. I am sure that the A/D converters on the H2 might be a factor too, along with the mics. I mean, c'mon, we're talking about something that probably costs $5 to manufacture.

If I need a step up from the H2 and want to spend more setup time I bring a cheap portable recording setup: A Korg DAW, Bellari RP220 tube pre w/ a pair of Oktava 012's for the room, and then get at least a stereo board send.

In doing it this way I noticed that while many places have stereo boards with a separate mono out, they won't use the mono out to the power amps, and won't mix for stereo either. Which is understandable in most rooms, but geez...

19. AndrewMartinMusic

AndrewMartinMusic Member

Thanks for posting just the front mics from the H2. I guess it's tough to make a comparison between the two because the surround one is still much louder. At any rate, I've been thinking about retiring my minidisc recorder for one of these baby's so thanks for posting these clips. I think I will make the leap as soon as I can spare the $.

20. jmcloud

jmcloud Member

Those little Zoom recorders are pretty handy. I have the H4. Don't use it much, but still nice to have for those occasions, and it works great! Very nice recording you've got.