Recorded to 1/2" tape - original tune

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by flagstaffcharli, Feb 9, 2015.

1. flagstaffcharli

flagstaffcharli Member

"King of the One Horse Town" by Chuck Cheesman

I got to help Brud at Fremont Recording here in Portland demo his new, old Otari MX5050 1/2" tape machine this past Friday.

I wasn't really prepared to play the harmonica, but considering my lack of polish it came out fine. We used one microphone, flat EQ, and a bit of reverb. It was a great vintage Neumann U47. I really like working like this. It's simple and the tone he got was (in my opinion) really great.

Anybody looking to do a live vibe recording out thereĀ… I happily recommend Fremont Recording or working with someone who can do it this way in your own area.

I'll be doing this song on my next CD, maybe adding a rhythm section and some pedal steel. Maybe a telecaster too.

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Really nice. It has a real Steve Earle vibe to it. That mic sounds incredible (and it should!). I would've liked to hear a second mic positioned around the 12th fret on your guitar just for a bit of balance, but the harmonica and your voice are clearly the focus.
    Great work.

3. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Member

Absolutely love everything about it, including the choice to record live to tape.

4. JParry335

JParry335 Member

Hey Chuck!
    Welcome back. I really liked this.
    Set up a mic, roll the tape and perform.
    Really nice on all counts.

5. flagstaffcharli

flagstaffcharli Member

Thanks! That's an interesting suggestion. We actually tried two mics and abandoned fairly quickly. Normally, at home, I'll do two mics - both pulled in real close. I use an AKG414 for the vocal and a Neumann SDC for the guitar, and I live with a bit of bleed.