Recording a harp

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DerekEstrada, Jan 11, 2008.

1. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

Anyone got experience recording a harp? Not a harmonica, but an actual harp....

thanks!

2. onemind

onemind Member

The only success I ever had was with a single AKG 414/ULS in figure eight mode (in a small live space) about eighteen inches from the strings, towards the treble side. The 'null' was actually pointed at the base of the harp, it sounded very ethereal.

3. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I am recording one at the moment with my band. No tips to offer yet, we're experimenting...

4. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming...session is Sunday

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

A good condenser mic, about 1.5 to 2 feet away aimed at the hands should give you a good starting point. You can also play with the room itself to see if you can get a nice 'air'.

I would try another cond. mic about 4 feet from the harp to see if I could get a little ambience.

-ZP

6. isfahani

isfahani Member

In addition to close micing, I'd also see about slapping a contact pickup on it somewhere... Experiment.

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

How is it being used in the mix? As with any classical string instrument, it really depends on if it is used to be an upfront soloist, or an ambient 'room' instrument. Also depends on the context in which is sits...what type of music?

If it's more of a traditional classical 'room' sound, I'd go with stereo ribbons out front and overhead.

If it's a modern soloist sound, a spot mic would work best...I'd still try to work with a ribbon, but a LD FET Condenser would work well also.

If you have the option, maybe do both...

8. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'd think that there would be potential noise/gain issues with using ribbons on a harp....it's just too low volume instrument and will require lots of gain from the preamp. I think I'd be more inclined to use a large diaphragm condensor.

Cheers

Kris

9. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

Thanks again everyone...after much experimenting....a Neumann on a stand, about a foot and a half away from the bottom did it....