Recording acoustic / electric (Taylor) guitars..

Smakutus

I am planning on doing some home recording using my old Roland 1680 and a Taylor guitar.. I like the way the Taylor sounds, but not the way it (or really any) acoustic sounds through those on board pick ups.

I was thinking of getting an amp to use and record direct from it.. I know nothing about acoustic amps.

Are there cool sounding effects pedals for recording acoustics direct rather than using an amp?

I also plan on getting a pick up that mounts in the sound hole and trying it out.. Plus I have a good sounding mic I can use to record it acoustically..

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jeff

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
Virtually any microphone will sound better than virtually any pickup if you're trying to get an acoustic guitar recording that sounds like an acoustic guitar. Pickups are meant to solve practical problems, not sound as good as microphones.

Smakutus

I have a CAD GXL3000 (Plus 57's, 58's, two radio shack condensers etc) mic here.. I haven't used it for recording acoustic guitars but it worked well for vocal and as a over head drum set mic..

Thanks,
Jeff

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Virtually any microphone will sound better than virtually any pickup if you're trying to get an acoustic guitar recording that sounds like an acoustic guitar. Pickups are meant to solve practical problems, not sound as good as microphones.
This is an overgeneralization that I can agree with.

There is a JoeMeek small diaphragm condenser I see in my Facebook ads for $29. If you have the ability to mic with phantom power, that is what I'd use.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
If often record my acoustic guitar simultaneously with a mic and a direct signal from the pickup, then mix to taste.
I've had good success running the pickup into an amp (or amp model) and mixing. Pickups generally sound bad to me, but amps sound good!

Trending Topics