Recording Acoustic Guitar - HX Stomp / Helix

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all, I've been looking to record some acoustic demo tracks. I have the HX Stomp which operates as an interface, and for ease of setup am looking to plug the acoustic into the Stomp as opposed to mic it.

Does anyone have any good tips and tricks in terms of patches on the Stomp & Helix for this purpose? Or do people prefer no FX / EQ / Comp etc on the Stomp and to use VSTs within your DAW to work on the sound?

r_ray

Not gonna attempt a reply to whether to put effects in your stomp or daw, but 3 sigma audio has some acoustic impulse responses. I bought them and only messed around a little with them. If I hit a chord hard, there was a harsh high end thing going on, but that might can be eq”d out. Not sure, but something you might want to check into.

Fireheart7

I discovered placing the tube preamp first, then the acoustic IR, helped tame the IR in a good way. I have tried multiple IRs and find them harsh unless an eq block is placed on the chain as well. Finding the right delay reverb combination for acoustic in the Stomp is a journey. You may want to consider adding those post Stomp. And, I like the LA Comp at the end a la Jason Sadites.
Good luck

r_ray

I need to download them on my new computer and play with them some more. Mainly just for demo stuff to see if an acoustic would fit in a mix in this song, etc...

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
I discovered placing the tube preamp first, then the acoustic IR, helped tame the IR in a good way. I have tried multiple IRs and find them harsh unless an eq block is placed on the chain as well. Finding the right delay reverb combination for acoustic in the Stomp is a journey. You may want to consider adding those post Stomp. And, I like the LA Comp at the end a la Jason Sadites.
Good luck
Yeah, I like the studio comp on the end. I'm not crazy keen on IRs - I like the natural sound of my guitar and don't want to try make it sound like something else! More looking at EQ tips, workflow, etc.

Do you guys use line level for input and output?

Fireheart7

Yeah, I like the studio comp on the end. I'm not crazy keen on IRs - I like the natural sound of my guitar and don't want to try make it sound like something else! More looking at EQ tips, workflow, etc.

Do you guys use line level for input and output?
Mine is piezo which I don't like much. I would prefer A different mic tech, like some Yamahas used to have, an actual condenser mic to mix in.

Trending Topics