• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recording bass DI

Creighton

I have a nice Hofner bass to record with but no bass amp so I would like to get the best possible tube amp like tone recording the bass lined directly into a Zoom R24 recorder. To achieve the most tube amp-like sound should I purchase a preamp like the Sansamp or Aguilar Tone Hammer?

Last edited:

Creighton

Or do I need a direct box to emulate an amp? Looking for something within a couple hundred dollar range. I've actually used the A Designs Reddi in a studio before and it was great but not looking to spend that much for a direct box at the moment.

electricity17

http://arkhamsound.com/octling.html

The Tone Hammer pedal works nicely, I've used it for recording and gotten good results. But if you want tubes, the Arkham Octling has them. It's the preamp stage of an Ampeg B15, one of the classic old school bass amps, and it sounds great. Other options would include the A Designs REDDI which is well loved, but more expensive and would require a preamp.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
Aren't there insert effects in the R24 that might work for you? I think my R8 has some amp Sims gut I am not positive. Sansamp is probably a great option.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
I just got the ampeg SCR-DI and it works pretty well. Probably not as versatile as some other DI's but does the ampeg sound pretty well, plus the option of adding a little hair with the scrambler feature.

Trending Topics