Recording Bass with a POD XT

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RGN, Sep 13, 2005.

1. RGN

RGN Member

Has anyone tried to record bass using a POD XT for guitar? Maybe the Fender Bassman preset? I am too cheap to buy a Bass POD and was wondering how this would work. Any other cheap ways to go direct into a computer and get decent bass sounds? I don't need world class bass tone- just something OK.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why not just try it and find out?

Another (relatively) inexpensive unit is the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. It's great at dialing in simulated amp drive and you can blend it with the direct signal. I use it in combination with some expensive crap to crunch it down to where I like it, but you don't have to. I still think compression is important, though. I'd rather have just a straight DI and a compressor than tube simulation if I could only have one.

Props to Bassomatic for the SansAmp recommendation. It changed my life.

3. RGN

RGN Member

I haven't bought the bass yet. For bass sounds I have been using a guitar, making it sound like a bass using the G-Forces' pitch shifting. It actually sounds decent but I'd bet a real bass would sound better. :dude

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, a bass helps.

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the sansamp is probably used 75% + in the studio these days. Run your drum machine through it too for some dirt.

I've had good results with a bass through an adrenalinn2 so I'd imagine the pod will work pretty well. You'll probably want to mix it mostly dry with maybe 10-20% effect for a little dirt.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

For recording, nothing beats a good bass and a good DI with some light compression going in. At least here it does. Depends on what you are recording; but I have owned the Bass POD and prefer just going DI.

7. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Anyone care to offer what they're favorite DI box is for this application?

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Here's a few depending on budget.

ART mp1. Lots of people love these for a bass DI.

Studio Projects VTP-1. I prefer it to the ART both as a DI and mic preamp.

GT Brick. Nothing else for $400 will touch it.

Avalon U5.

Summit TD-100 or 2BA-221 if you want a mic pre. Haven't tried these yet.

9. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

I like the Avalon U5. I'm daring enough to say that you haven't even heard your bass until you listen to it through the U5.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

GT Brick is stellar. Sold mine to my bassist buddy; he uses it live and in the studio. Fantastic DI for bass.

Demeter Tube DI is stellar. Owned one for a long time.

Radial's boxes are sweet. I have the JDI. Clean and musical; has a Jensen transformer in there. Exceptional.

Countryman is an industry standard for a reason.

The Avalon U5 is wicked good.

11. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Thanks for the input guys...

12. Bix

Bix Member

Another alternative for recording bass is the johnson J Station. For a shoestring budget guy like myself these are great. They have a really nice ampeg modeled bass rig and can be had for less than $100. Plus there are a couple useable guitar models on it as well.

Bix

13. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

As a direct answer to your question the POD XT can get great bass sounds. I use my regular XT Live for bass all the time. I have several DI's, Sans Amp, Radial, and others. The POD can hold it's own for what it is.

I recomment using the Tube Preamp model with no cabinet emulation. You can also use the same model to rough up percussion for modern sounding tracks. If you don't have Line 6 Edit yet, get it. You can experiment far faster via the GUI than you can surfing through edit menus. L6E also makes tweaking the EQ and Post model compressor a lot easier and these are key to getting good bass sounds out of the XT.

Good Luck,
    JT

14. RGN

RGN Member

Thanks! I just bought a Warwick bass yesterday. I had been trying it with the Tweed Bassman amp and it sounded good. I also ran it using only a compressor. I'll try what you said about the tube preamp. What kind of setting on the Compressor setting should I use? It looks like I can only tweak the THRES and GAIN. Throw out some starting settings. I am a complete bass idiot here... first one I have ever owned. I am only going to use it for recording but it is a lot of fun messing around with it!

15. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I have the Tech 21 bass driver unit for bass, and the MXR bass DI box. I like them both--tend to use the MXR most of the time.