recording electronic kit (newbie question!)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by singular, Jan 25, 2008.

1. singular

singular Member

So, recently our drummer bought a mac G4 laptop, hence allowing to start recording home demos. He has an electronic kit,which is handy. But when he hooked it up to the laptop, via an MBox, there was no sound coming through! he was doing it from midi out into the laptop.midi being the better option we thought.(we have no experience with home recording despite being musicians for quite a few years, bad i know). Wen he was messing around with it a bit there was some slight distorted noise coming through, but that was it.
    anyone care relieve us of our newbie frustration and offer an opinion on what might be wrong? what is the usual route for recording electronic kits?
    thanks in advance for any advice.

singular

2. coreybox

coreybox Member

Electronic kits work kind of like a sensor and a computer. The individual drums are sensors, and send information, via midi, to a computer. This computer associates the midi with sounds, and plays the sounds.

So, you guys are recording just the midi information. Since you are bypassing the kits built-in computer, you'll have to set up a virtual instrument on the mac. This way, you'll basically be using the kit to play a software instrument.

3. singular

singular Member

i think he was trying to do it like that as far as i know,like we were just recording any instrument, cos he actually managed to record a guitar through it,but couldnt get sound from the drums.il ask him what manufacturer makes the kit is so i can provide more info.
    thanks for the reply man

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I have a Roland V-Drum kit that I have recorded on a couple of demos you can hear on my website.

Here's what I did...

I use SONAR at home and ProTools at the studio. It works the same either way.

Send your MIDI out from the drum kit to a MIDI interface connected to you computer. Set up one MIDI track that records all the MIDI information that is generated by the kit. Once you have the MIDI track, you can either use a digital instrument pplugin or you can route the MIDI to an outboard device such as a Synthesizer - I used a Korg Triton on the demos.

In order to process individual drums separately, you cut and paste the MIDI for individual drum into separate MIDI tracks in the computer. Create new audio tracks for each individual MIDI track. Record the audio generated from each MIDI track to its respective audio track. This way you can add separate verb to the snare for example.

There are probably easier ways to do this. I did some of those demos a while ago and have gone on to recording live kits more these days. I still use the V-Drums for ethnic percussion instruments but now I trigger Battery III in protools which has better samples than the Korg or the native V-Drum sounds.

In the studio, I use a Roland kick drum trigger to get a MIDI track drom the drummer's acoustic kick drum. This enables me to edit the kick track or completely swap it out for a good sample if I desire. I also track the kick audio for the benefit of a room mic.

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a Yamaha DT Express kit in my studio and add compression and use occasion tube preamp and records well. I use a Korg D1600. I'm sure it would work as well on computer as well using the midi or optical outs