Recording Gear

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Bad Henry, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

I'm still new to this game, but am blown away by what I hear all you guys doing.

Could you take a minute and tell me what gear and programs you use to lay down your tracks and solos?

Do you make your own backing tracks?

What will I have to spend to get started?

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the zz top clip i posted was recorded using this program

http://www.ntrack.com/

im not computer minded but this wee program is so easy , get yerself a POD line 6 and a good soundcard and you are ready to roll dude.

jimmy

3. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

I'm using a Mac dual 2.7Ghz G5 Apple powerpc running Logic pro 7.
    The audio interface is a Presonus Firepod and the MOTU Micro Lite is my midi interface.
    Guitar Amps:

Old 50 watt Marshall MK II JMP
    Fender Vibro-King
    65 Fender Super Reverb
    66 Fender Super Reverb
    Fender Deluxe
    Peavey 5150
    Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis with a Stereo Simul-Class 2-Ninety
    assorted 2x12 marshall 4x12 marshall cabs.with 25watt greenbacks

Frank Axtell

West Palm Beach, FL

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I use digital recording gear as just a cheap and convenient replacement for old analog methods. I like pushing buttons and moving sliders so I'm a fan of stand alone recording units. I've been using a Tascam 788 for years with pretty good success. It was the least expensive true 24 bit system available at the time and can be picked up for next to nothing on the used market now. These days they have a 24 track version available for about $1000 that I'll probably move up to in the new year.

5. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I've posted quite a few backing tracks here that I've written/recorded/produced myself.

I have a fairly modest set-up:
    Average PC
    Inexpensive M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card
    Steinberg Cubase SX 3.1 sequencer/recorder
    A number of software instruments (I almost always use Battry 2 for drums and Broomstick Bass for bass)
    A Boss GS-10 for recording my guitars and my jazz bass (when I feel like doing "manual" bass).

I think this gives fairly good results and from the response I've gotten for my backing tracks people seem to agree.

Good luck!

Mats N

6. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Thanks to those who have replied so far!

Please understand. I only have guitar and amp. Plus PC , of course.

So far, I get that I'm going to need :
    1) a sound card for the PC
    2) some way to get the Guitar into the PC like a Line 6 Toneport or E-MU,and
    3) a PC program( Band in a Box recommended?)
    Right so far?

Anyone make a "bundled" application that is user friendly?

7. journo

journo Member

Hi Henry,

A Line 6 Toneport is in fact a sound card that is budneled with a program that behaves like a guitar amp. This is indeed a good way to get your guitar into your computer and sounding OK.
    What you need to record is a program that does just that. Record sound. There are quite a few for the PC and my absolute favourite hands-down is Cubase from Steinberg. There are a few versions to choose from and I think you should look into the cheapest version as it will be a good starting point for you and then if you get hooked on recording you can upgrade.

I would like to suggest that you buy a sound card bundle that includes the Cubase program. Many sound card has this bundle.
    Then you have a choice if you want to record using a microphone and miking your amps (and get thrown out of the house by your landlord) or go the silent route and get a Boss GS-10 or GT-8 or a POD or similar.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. Hi Henry,

Once you pick a software package that you like you will most likely stick with that one. I have been using Pro Tools for so long it's what I like. Is there a budget you would like to stay around? (because it can add up fast) You might want to play around with one of the free recording software programs to get a hang of it before you drop the cash. Do you want to record with other people (drummer, bassist, keyboards)?
    As far as "bundled" solutions...

One option that will allow you to do more as your recording needs grow is Digidesign Mbox 2. They are about $450.00 The Factory bundles have more plug-ins (eq's compressors, delays software) I like it because it has the hardware and sotware in one bundle.

Also M-Audio Digidesign Pro Tools M-Powered Multitrack Recording Software
    www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsMPowered7-main.html
    hardware
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces

The discontinued MBox's are going for $200-$300. And give you 2 analog inputs w/ mic-pre's, headphone out and 24 tracks.

there are many options for recording rhythm tracks on your own:
    Native Instruments Battery 2 is good for drums
    Abelton Live
    Propellerhead Reason
    SampleTank
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=virtualins

remember if you don't have, you will also need:
    a microphone (you can spend any amount)
    powered monitors (you could use your PC speakers)
    also a firewire hard drive is highly recommended - I don't recommend recording to your internal hard drive as it will get get full and fragmented fast.
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10510 300GB HD

Also, there is a learning curve if this is new to you, but don't get frustrated and read the manual which we all usually like to skip.

www.digidesign.com
    www.m-audio.com
    check ebay too

Enjoy!

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Guys

I have Cubase VST24 and associated plug ins on my pc but I have to use Ntrack because I simply have not the faintest idea how to use Cubase at all , its very intimidating indeed.

Can you point me in the direction of learning how to use cubase vst24 for beginners, id be very grateful to you.

jimmy

10. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Is a sound card a must? Some of the devices like the Pod or Gt-10 have usb ports on them. Wouldn't that work to get your guitar onto your computer? I'm in the same boat as the original poster adn have been thinking of treating myself to a Pod or a Gt-10 for an Xmas present as a way to get my feet wet with recording.

11. journo

journo Member

Hi John,

My bad indeed and I should know better as I own a Boss GS-10 and I'm very happy with it.

The GS-10 is a really good bundle as it has amp models and effects for guitars and bass. It also has a USB interface which works both for archiving patches as well as a good quality sound card. Add to that the fact that it has stereo speakers on board and comes bundled with Cakewalk sequencer software for the PC. Really the most allround package around.

Cheers,

Mats N

12. journo

journo Member

Hi Jimmy,

Most music schools of class have courses in Cubase. Then there are a few books you can buy. A really good way of learning is the DVD classes. These you can find somewhere at www.mi-7.net

Good luck!

Mats N

13. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I don't have the computer nor the recording expertise most of these guys have. I will agree with Mats (Journo) He creates some of the best backing tracks I have heard.
    I only use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro. I have a 16 channel Mackie mixer, QSC power amp, two PA speakers, a mic, and an amp. Of course I have a guitar :) I record direct. I like the natural tone of the tube amp. Besides, I don't have the knowledge for the advanced set-ups. Yes, it can get quite loud. Ha Ha.

14. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Thanks Mats. It does sound like a really good package. The souncard on my pc is built in so I didn't want to have to go and buy one of those too.

15. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Just consider the fact that most sound cards incorporated on the PC's motherboard are NOT made to cater to musicians wanting to record good sound. Most sound card are barely capable of producing OK sound for medium quality games. Some of the are only "half duplex". This means that you can't listen and record audio at the same time which makes it all impossible. You need to be able to listen to a recorded backing track when you want lay down your best solo. Make sure your sound card has "full duplex".

Therefore a good sound card is a must when you consider a recording setup. A good enough sound card doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. I use the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which doesn't cost a lot at all. I only use it because I already had it when I bought the GS-10 and saw no reason to change as I was happy with the M-Audio card.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Mats N

16. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Hi again , everyone. Thanks for keeping this thread going.

The guy at my local music store let me take a M-Audio Jamlab home for the weekend to let me play with. This has been a hoot!
    Nice effects. It makes me sound better than I am,which has to sell alot of units! Ha!

However, I think I've learned enough to know this isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

It has Drum loops you can jam with, but dosen't seem to let you record a rhythm track over the drums and then play solo over that. It just records the rhythm track. Then when you play it back expecting to hear the two together, all you get is the rhythm minus the drum track. I'm probably doing something wrong. Also, if I play a jam track on media player, it won't operate in conjunction with that.

Also the thing "pops" annoyingly into your headphones. There is a thread about this on their website, so this must be a common problem. If I was going to keep this program, I could probably fix it.

This item really is only a couple of steps from what I'm looking for.

I would really like to find the right thing to get me started for < $200. Possible?

17. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Anyone using the Line 6 Toneport UX-1 or 2??

18. no, but my best friend works for Line 6. I will try to get some info. the UX-1 only gives you one input. I have to believe that you will need at least two at some point.

19. Mehanov

Mehanov Member

Yes! I have UX1. Some of my records that I posted here are recroded with UX1. I like this little toy!

20. Bad Henry

Bad Henry Member

Thanks Paul- Will look forward to the inside scoop!