Recording Guitar with an Interface

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BoyMambo, Aug 24, 2006.

1. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I have been quite happy using GuitarPort to record using Cubase SE, but have been thinking seriously about upgrading. There seems to be a few options at the moment. I have an RME Audio card that I am very happy with, and was thinking about changing my guitar interface. I only have a P3 running XP SP2 with 1 gig RAM.

Has anybody used a Waves GTR System and PRS Interface, Line 6 Toneport or any other interface that they would recommend or not?

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Check out the Vox ToneLab.

3. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I was looking for a dedicated interface and software based sound modelling, but it would be more than reasonable to use one of those. The POD can be used with guitarport as well. I do have an old Johnson J Station and an Addrenalin II kicking around. Has anybody used the new Zoom as an interface?

4. kanegon

kanegon Supporting Member

Have you considered separating the preamp from the effects? Would opens up a world of preamp possibilities. Would cost more on the long run, but give much more flexibility in terms of all the boutique options out there. By retaining an independent effects chain, you can also gig (via amp) with the sounds you tweak. All the below units are attenuated for direct input computer or board. IMHO, much more guitar amp-like than either the all-in-ones or amplitube/GR.

Preamps pedal/racks:

tech21 sansamp - any of them
    vstack - tweedy for Fender, regular for Marsahll
    whole slew of amp maker rack units like, Mesa VTwin, Marshall, many others I believe.

effects:

two or three of your favorites

5. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Thanks definitely worth thinking about. I have a Tech 21 TriAC, I shall give that a go.