Recording Guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lttoler, Jan 13, 2006.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

My band is currently trying to record a few of our songs for a demo. I have a Boss BR-1180 and we have the drums and bass and are ready to record guitar. The only mics we have are a Audix Fusion 6 piece drum mic set, and a few Shure SM-58s. Are any of these mics decent enough to mic my cab or should I invest in another mic? Thanks!

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

SM-58 is very similar to the old workhorse SM-57, the go-to mic for gtr cabs. It should be fine.

3. bailnout

bailnout Member

+1 for the 58.

I've heard countless times over the years that the mic element in a 58 is the exact same one as in a 57. The only difference is the windscreen. I have a friend who uses a 57 instead of a 58 for his vocals because his lips have a reaction to the wind screen on the 58. So they are pretty interchangeable.

4. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Alright good deal. That was one of the main things I was wondering. That helps a lot. Thanks :)

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The SM58 is not a SM57 with a windscreen. It LOOKS like that, but it doesn't behave like that

I think the SM58 sucks on a guitar cab. It has a high end hump that's great for vocals but makes most instruments sound like ****.

A SM57 is $85. Get the right tool for the job.

6. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

You can remove the windscreen of the 58 and get better results. I'd also try some of your Audix mics... the snare mic or the floor tom mic would probably yield decent results. Especially if your snare mic is an i5. I really do love a 57 on a guitar cab... but for a demo, play around with what you got. You'll get something usable.

7. Madsman

Madsman Member

Yeah, it's largely a matter of placement and tweaks anyway. As said before, if your Audix is an i5, that's their best guitar amp mic anyway, and will outperform the 58. I have both a 57 (you need to get one anyway... should have it on hand for gigs where the house mic is screwed or stolen by a previous band, or for situations like you're in now) and an i5, and while I prefer the standard SM57, the i5 is a definite keeper. It's a little more lively sounding. The best part about recording electric guitar is that you finally get to use a relatively inexpensive component... an $80 dynamic mic on your $17million rig is an ironic, but beautiful thing.

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

Like I said, that just what I heard. I wasn't going by the looks of it, just that many sound engineers have told me that it's the same element. But whatever.

I'll give you a +1 on just going and buying an SM57. "Sound" advice!!! For what they cost, it's money well spent for any guitarist. I would say that if you take care of it, it will last forever. But even if you beat the poop out of it, it'll still last forever. I was in a band with a guy who kept one in his gig bag "just in case" he needed. I once saw him use it to drive a nail and he also used it as a wheel chuck for the van on more than one occation. It always worked whenever he used it for it's intended design.:)