Recording guitars direct help..

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Smakutus, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Hey there,
    I use an ADA Microcab to record my guitar parts on my Roland VS-1680. The Microcab worked really well with my old 4 track machine but with this Roland it adds a bit of harshness to the tone, that I can't get rid of. It's good with bass and cleaner tones but the more distortion you add the worse it gets.

So what do you guy use for direct guitar recording?

I prefer recording direct to miking up an amp mostly because I record at night when everyone is either home and watching TV, or in bed asleep.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd get a POD, or something equivalent. The latest version has a tone or two in there that hardly suck at all... <g>

Loudboy

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

POD is great for this! You may only find a couple of amp models that really do it for you, but it will do the trick quite nicely.

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Is the rackmount one better than the stand alone POD?

I already have a Echo Plus that I really like..

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I use the old Sansamp pedal. It gives me nearly the flexibility of the POD without the funny "digital" feeling. Of course, the mac Daddy of direct recording now is the Axe-Fx, $1349 direct and studio quality effects so you can sell all those to help pay for it. It feels and sounds real...

6. dreamryche

dreamryche Member

I usually go through my DigiTech 2101 Artist, using the hardware speaker simulation. I run an EQ between it and my computer to add some edge that the 2101's EQs don't bring out and to make it sound a little less dated. Other times I'll just plug into my interface and use 'Guitar Amp Pro' in Logic.

7. clayville

clayville Member

For pretty much the same reasons (late night, sleeping housemates, etc) I record electric direct almost all the time, and have for four years or so. I've tried a variety of options including a Digitech multi-fx pedal, a PodXT, software emulators like Amplitude and GuitarRig... all of which can give decent results with a significant amount of tweaking. But in the end, I found that most of the bells & whistles (though astounding sometimes) are a significant distraction for the kind of thing I want to do most of the time. What I'm after 95% of the time is a good, organic, small combo blues and blues rock tone, mildly overdriven rather than high gain. And for that, direct, I'm extremely happy with results I get from the Damage Control Womanizer pedal.
    http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/pedals_ind.php?pedal=1

Bit of a silly name, but it's essentailly a two 12ax7 tube pre-amp with built-in e.q., drive and compression. No presets, no memory bank, not much in the way of cab emulations (a single 12" is all it has) -- so it doesn't seem as useful or capable as a lot of the digital solutions, but it just spanks them in terms of realism and organic feel. For me, unlike some of the more complex digital solutions, 90% of what it will do is genuinely useful to me and sounds quite good to my ear. They do make a gainier version called the Demonizer if that's the sort of sound you're after.

I add the more common fx (when I use them) via dedicated pedals in front of the Womanizer or via software plug-ins -- and to me the results are better than using the fx of, say, my Pod. Heck, even the Pod sounds better if I run it through this thing. Highly recommended if you want something that sounds like a small combo.

Sounds like this (or... at least I do)
    http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=clayville&content=station&id=223140

8. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've used a POD 2.0 also what has worked very well is a Roland Microcube direct out with COSM modeling. I've also used it with an SM57 miked

9. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I have a POD 2.0 and an XT Live. If you ask 20 people which is better between the POD, Tonelab, Boss, Digitech, etc you'll get 20 different answers. You've just got to try out as many as you can and pick one. I like the Line 6 stuff because I'm familiar with it and it's easy to tweak but still has a lot of features. But it always sits in the mix this certain way, which can be good or bad. I haven't put anything to tape, but for cleans to mild overdrive I thought the Vox Tonelab had the best sound. This is out of the recent stuff (GT-8, GNX-3000, J-Station, etc). But if I didn't need bells and whistles I'd probably just get the basic Sans Amp or maybe that Womanizer.

10. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Smakutus, I highly recommend a SansAmp. I record at home also, and I have been mic'ing my tube amp and 2x12 cab. But I recently bought a Tech 21 SansAmp TRI-A.C. and have recorded directly into the computer using it...

It sounded so good that I decided to sell my tube amps and use the SansAmp going into my Mackie SRM350 powered speaker for all my live performances!

Seriously.

When I compared the recorded SansAmp to my mic'ed tube amp recordings, the tubes didn't compare. I guess a tube amp is the standard, but only if it is a good tube amp with a good cab, EQ'ed properly, and mic'ed properly. The SansAmp takes care of all that at once.

11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I use a Palmer. It sounds great and is highly tweakable.

12. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I am also a fan of Tech-21 stuff and I have a SansAmp PSA-1. While I really like it for live tones, I have never gotten it to sound good recording direct.

I would really like to hear some clips of your recordings and get a description of what you do to get a good direct tone.

13. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

POD XT or SansAmp both work great! I also like (and have used) the Award Session JD10.

14. wren

wren Member

I use a Tech 21 Tri-AC and a Zoom G2 for all my direct recording needs; they do it beautifully. I'd recommend them over any POD.

15. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

+1 on the palmer