1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recording habits/process

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by scottlr, Feb 15, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

After a recent hard drive failure, and subsequent lucky data recovery, I wonder how the pros SOP works.

In graphics, we tend to COPY the project folder to the desktop, work on it, then copy it back, overwriting the original.

With Logic, I always just worked on the original from my external drive. I have Logic prefs set to keep 3 layers of backup, so I never worried about it. But after having my external HD fail on me, and having to spend over 24 hours doing data recovery (luckily successfully), I am wondering if the same SOP for graphics would be a good idea for audio. I usually leave my trash un-emptied for several days. So any un-backed up files would have several days before a HD failure would be a major problem. PLUS, If I left the projects I was working on on the desktop, I'd be more likely to remember to back them up on a CD before trashing them.

What is your work-flow?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

At the beginning of each session, I'd open the song we were going to work on, either from the HD, or from the b/u disk (CD or DVD) and immediately do a "save as" using the next consecutive number - "XXXXX 03" and then proceeed w/the session.

When the session was over, the file was bundled and written to CD or DVD, and that was immediately checked (by reopening) at which point the session was officially over.

The b/u disks were stored in alphabetical order, in a cabinet. The current song file was left on the HD.

This was strictly adhered to, no matter how long I'd been there, how tired I was and how badly I wanted to go home.

In 8 years and thousands of sessions, I lost part of one song, due to bad media.

Theoretically, we should have also made another set of b/u's and stored them off-site, but we didn't except for a few really important projects, involving big names.

Loudboy

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

So, you keep an 01, 02, 03, etc. of every song? Like I said, Logic keeps the last 3 versions plus the newest main file in the project folder. So, I'd have to do math on that one, but redundancy might not be a bad idea after my last fiasco. The actual .iso files are pretty small. It's the audio folder that bears the weight.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Yes - both project and audio files are backed up after every session. Sonar allows you to do this easily, using .bun files.

Loudboy

5. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I require clients to have a master and a backup hard drive. If they can't afford that, they should rethink if they should be recording at all. If you consider that a reel of tape used to cost around $150+ for 15 minutes of recording, two 160GB drives are a deal!

Backing up is done whenever there is a break is the session that's long enough. I use a small utility program called SilverKeeper. It's free and works great. It's also saved me twice now.

Hard drives DO die!!!

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

That's why we use CD/DVD - I'm not sure I'd trust a HD to even boot up after a few years of sitting in someone's basment, or wherever they'd take 'em after the project was done.

Big PITA, though.

Loudboy