• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recording Interface for iPad or iPhone?

James Knox

Silver Supporting Member
Need to record a demo of an amp I built. All I have is an iPad and an iPhone. Not really interested in putting together a “home recording studio” Or spending Big Bucks. Just a simple tool to do a simple job!

What would you recommend?

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
This worked for me a while back...
They also have this if you want more inputs...

I didn't look for the cheapest price or anything.

Brek

I use the usb out of my cheapo behringer xenyx mixer into my ipad, limited to left and right only, but pretty decent quality for recording guitars, has good mic pre’s and is an 8 mono, 4 stereo channel desk for my eurorack rig.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
just use the mic on your iphone/ipad and record video.
a little secret about iphones and ipads:

audio recording= mono
video recording = stereo

a drummer I work with weekly uses his iphone to record samples for me for building loops.
he has an iPhone 11. sounds great.

jgraham

I saw this mentioned in another thread and it looks simple / interesting to me for the same purpose.

trap

Silver Supporting Member
just use the mic on your iphone/ipad and record video.
a little secret about iphones and ipads:

audio recording= mono
video recording = stereo

a drummer I work with weekly uses his iphone to record samples for me for building loops.
he has an iPhone 11. sounds great.
Thanks! I didn’t know that tidbit. I just got an IPhone SE and sure enough it has stereo video. I wonder how far back they did that?

FuzzFacetious

I Have the scarlet 2i2 third generation that has a USB - C port I use it with my iPad Pro it seems to work OK with out the camera adapter Unless I’m missing something
Thanks!
I was looking at it on Amazon - is there any difference in quality between the solo and the 2i2?
The reason I ask is that there was a difference on older generations.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Need to record a demo of an amp I built. All I have is an iPad and an iPhone. Not really interested in putting together a “home recording studio” Or spending Big Bucks. Just a simple tool to do a simple job!

What would you recommend?

you don’t need an interface.
the ipad and iphone record thus:
video = stereo
audio = mono
just shoot it with one, and record it with the other.
spend time getting the placement right so it sounds good.
import both into iMovie, sync, edit, and done.

vashuba

Silver Supporting Member
I have the iRig Pro
Works great. Just plug in and it auto configures. I do use it for video audio more than recording audio into a daw.
the iRig Duo is the 2 channel which I kinda wish I got instead

Pyritez

I would just use a microphone app on the iphone to record. Then email that to the iPad and edit/convert to .flac & .mp3 using iPad apps. Then email those files back to myself.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
Any of these widgets or tricks work without clipping in a small practice space at stage volume?
We messed around with some iPhone video and the audio is super compressed/clipped.

Trending Topics