Recording: Mic amps or use Pod HD?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by xrleroyx, Feb 5, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

What do you guys think? We'd be using our pedalboards through the POD and through our amps. This is going to be our first full-length album, and while we might have access to a large studio out engineer prefers to use his POD HD and protools. We will be recording the bass through pro tools and the drums using an electric kit MIDI-d to superior drummer.

We play stuff like The Smashing Pumpkins and Dinosaur Jr.

2. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

Why not just do both? Mic your amps & then have a DI also.

We're currently doing an album ourselves. I tried using POD Farm for guitar, but would tweak & track for many hours & just think it sounded okay.

I like the results much more using a mic on my Mustang III modeling amp. There's some tweaking & mic positioning etc., but sounds much better to me & I get their quicker.

POD HD is a step up, but I've read many users complain of huge time spent tweaking & still not necessarily happy.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. kennybro

kennybro Member

Use your ears and gut. There are a few top shelf Nashville pickers who only record with the original kidney POD. They get amazing tones. Only you can do the comparison and decide if it's working for you.

Many of these devices are capable of great tones. People plug them in, choose a preset or two and say "That sucks." Don't fall into that trap, but if an amp makes you more comfy and pushes you to a better performance, you need an amp. Your performance is key, and playing through something that makes you uncomfortable can affect that huge.

4. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

I've been using the PodXt for years on recordings. The great thing about it is the computer interface/editor. Allows me to save settings per song and call them back up if I need to redo a part or add something else. No need to worry about finding the same mic placement or if the tubes will have more wear and sound a little different.

With this setup, I can record at anytime of day or night through headphones. It took a little time, but I really dialed in about 5 amps that sound good. Don't forget to try the different mic's and mic placement options available to you in the POD. This can make a huge difference to the sound you're getting.

I do think a Kemper will be in my future but for the time being, and in the price point, the POD has been a great addition to my studio. The producers I work with are always stoked with the tones and are shocked at how good the tones are from the POD.

EQ is your friend. Work the tones to fit them to the track, not just for sounding good by themselves!

5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I keep getting told by people that amp sims are much better now, but every time I hear one, I just go "yuck!". None of them sound real to me, even with all the fancy cabinet IR's and stuff. Now I will admit that amps sims like the POD are good at getting super processed and "in-your-face" tones however. So I'd say, unless you're doing modern metal, radio pop, or EDM, I wouldn't go with amp sims alone. That being said, I do like the hyper-presence you can only get from an amp sim (usually best without a cab IR). So my preference is to split the guitar during recording and send the signal out to the amps and into the computer through a DI simultaneously, or multi-track the guitars with some tracks using mic'ed up amps, and some using a DI and amp sims. That way you can take the majority of the guitar tones from real amps and have a realistic sound, and tweak the amp sim's settings to fill in the gaps left by the real amps to get a full and polished guitar tone like you hear on so many songs on the radio. It's the best of both worlds!