Recording Newb Looking at Audio Interface Options

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by FiggyPudding18, Apr 25, 2020.

1. FiggyPudding18

FiggyPudding18 Member

Hey all, I'm looking at a potential purchase of an audio interface over the next couple of years. I understand technology and products change, but I'm simply researching now because I am trying to get numbers for how much $ I need to save.

I have Logic Pro X, and a Macbook Pro with Thunderport 3.

Mainly, I would be recording guitar and vocals at the same time. So I'm assuming if I wanted to record acoustic guitar in stereo, I would need three mics (two for the guitar, one for vocals). I would like to keep it under $1000, but I am not sure if I am really missing something if I limit myself to this budget.

Please offer any suggestions that you have...thank you!

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Save your money and get an RME UFX+ interface.

3. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I have a Metric Halo rig. The first three oldest were bought and manufactured close together and then, something like 15 years later, can operate side by side and integrate actually better than when first designed and made. They daisy chain now, much simpler than the old days. Sound better too.

To give you an idea, when I started using these things we were still in Mac OS 9 when they were designed and put into operation. OS NINE, and here in 2020 I am still using them. On the second circuit board/hardware swap. First time the card was $300 I think and $400 the second time.

If all goes according to past precedent, there will be another update/upgrade/future proof in a few years and once again it will be right there with what the other companies are selling. Capability, feature set, I/O method (FW, USB, Network cables have all been used).

Anyhow this non obsolescence (feature) is pretty much all alone. I am not sure if anyone else is doing similar. Not to single anyone out but taking Pro Tools as an example, this is like buying an M Box, maybe more like a Digi 002, and giving a few hundred up in five years or so and your Digi 002 is now a 192HD or something. I don't keep up, I think that one is probably really old by now too. But basically, they take your box they sold you back when and update all aspects that that is possible/desirable to do that with.

In short, a digital audio interface that I bought in 2003, 2005, is not only not in a recycle landfill, a closet stacked on top of my old Digimax, etc; it is in my rack next to a brand new Metric Halo ULN-8. The stuff is going to outlive me and I was around 50 when I bought it. I am 65 now. You folks know how many years 15 is in digital audio years know that is a LONG time.

If I was this smart in most of my life I'd be retired living on the water somewhere. Which I sort of am, lol, but that is luck more than anything.

If I were you OP I'd buy a ULN-2. A 2 channel interface that has what they call the 3-D card which is current state of the art for them, knowing that if I need more I can get another, or if I want the 8 channels I can go really good 2882 3D or top of the line ULN-8 and plug it in.