Recording on the family computer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Fingers, May 9, 2005.

1. Fingers

Fingers Member

I know it isn't the ideal arrangement; what I'm wondering is whether it's a recipe for disaster. Specifically, let's say a new iMac G5, as much memory as possible, running Logic Express (I'd be doing everything myself, so I'd need a plenty of tracks). By itself, should be fine, but when you factor in other family members also using the computer -- any of you with kids who like the Neopets site will be familiar with its extraordinary computer-slowing powers -- would this turn into an exercise in frustration?

Thanks to anyone with useful experience in this.

Rick

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It should be fine for 8 tracks or more. I'd suggest a 3rd HD for non audio programs, family photos, downloads, et. Keep the installed programs to a minimun on the primary drive. Computers always seem to slow down as the drives get filled. Use one for audio data only.

Or, set it up for dual boot, one for audio apps and one for everyday apps.

3. hamerhead

hamerhead Guest

Just my opinion. If your serious at all and dont want any problems, build or buy a dedicated compu for your music enjoyment. Check out my stuff at : www.littlemanateesound.com
    I know this is a bit more than what you are looking for, but works fine for me since this is what a 4-Track cassette machime led me to do. Pages 1 & 2 of the studio is all my stuff:)

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Should be no prob at all, especially on a Mac with its lack of virus issues.

The necessarily-dedicated audio computer is not nearly as necessary as it once was. Recently did a remix of a Screaming Headless Torsoes track with my pal Matte, whose (maxed out) G5 is also his internet etc. machine. Lots of tracks and tons of plugins with nary a bump in the road (once we eliminated a pesky freeware plugin or two).

Here at home i do most everything on one XP machine, although i'm very vigilant about maintaining and delousing it. Again, plenty of tracks and plugins, sand very fast and stable. %That said, i'd never let my stepson touch this machine! Just finished cleaning his computer of a bunch of viral crap.

5. Fingers

Fingers Member

Thanks a lot to all who've replied; you've all been a big help. Sounds like I can try to go ahead with this new iMac G5. Manhattan real estate makes having multiple desktop computers tough, & unfortunately the current PowerBooks seem barely adequate (esp. for the $$) for keeping up with multiple Logic tracks -- otherwise that would be ideal as something I could conveniently dedicate to audio. Guess I'll just have to "suffer for my art (or my schlock)" so my family doesn't have to suffer in their up-do-date cyber-amusement pursuits.

Rick (using a Mac since'85 & still almost computer-illiterate).

6. gordon_39422

gordon_39422 Member

I'm not running an iMac, so I am not much help on that portion, but I am typing this response on the VERY PC I use to record on... I havent partitioned the HD's but before I begin a recording session, I clean the task manager down to only programs necessary to support Cubasis. Needless to say that I also disconnect my DSL to ensure no sneaky stuff going on.... Like one mentioned earlier, I am continually "delousing" my PC... I have used 20 tracks on one song before I started to exoerience and really noticeable latency... Even then, it was manageable... I have to say that the 20 tracks could have easily been done in 12, at most... And yes, my wife and son get on here to do there things as well... My son is restricted to only games we own, and the DSL get shut down while he is on...

Anwyway, hope this helps some,
    Allen