Recording Pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delichef, May 25, 2008.

1. delichef

delichef Member

I'm finally getting around to building a pedalboard for my home studio to tidy everything up....but I'm realizing I don't want to just plug in every pedal I own and have it always in the chain. I've been leaving them out of the chain and just plugging them in when needed, but is there a better way to do this?

I was thinking of building a standard board for my usual pedals....and a second board for the "other stuff"...then using a true bypass loop that goes out to the second board and returns to the first board. I'm a little worried that kicking in just one loop with a bunch of other stuff in it will create too much tone suck....maybe if I have bypass loops on the second board too? Is that going too far?

So i'm curious? What do you guys do? I don't really mind just plugging in a pedal I'd like to try, but if there's a way of having it hooked up to keep me playing and not messing with cables, i'd love to hear suggestions.

thanks!
    - alex

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Maybe try a Voodoo Labs GCX Switcher with a ground control?

3. gillibi

gillibi Member

I was going to put together a huge studio board with all of my effects. Ended up getting a Vox Tonelab LE and didn't look back. Have most of the effects I want and a bunch of different amp sounds without have to buy $250 dollars worth of George L's cables, let alone how much it'd cost to true bypass all of the tone suckers. Best purchase I've made!

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

For recording, I actually generally just use the 1 or 2 (3 tops) pedals I ever use at a time "off-board" on the floor. That's about as neat as it gets for me. I guess I just never saw the need for a recording board. I actually just got rid of my second "small set-up" board. I was finding it a pain to continually transfer pedals back and forth from my small to my large board between bands, so now I go with the big board all the time.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For recording I use only what I need for a specific tone. That usually involves an OD and a Wah if wanted. Any time based effects I usually add in mixing. Once a delay or verb is printed, it's there forever. Same for chorus and flange type effects. So really, my recording setup is pretty sparse. It's when i'm trying to replicate those recorded tones live that i'll use pedals to achieve anything i've added to the mix.

6. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Really depends on what pedals you're using. I went through the same thing trying to get all the pedals in my studio in some sort of system rather than a bunch of little boxes in every nook and cranny of my room. Best thing you can do is just hook them up one at a time and see which pedals are the tone or noise culprits. Since you're in a studio, record yourself along the way and do some blind listening. If there are any pedals that you still want to use but are a tone suck, get something like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher which works and sounds great. I ended up with one main meat and potatos board that has some well buffered pedals (Pete Cornish) that sounds great without the need for bypassing anything and a couple of smaller boards that have some older tone sucking pedals that I use in the Pedal Switchers loops.

7. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

You're talking about a pedal board with a few pedals plus a power supply. One pedal would have a bypass switch. It could have another switch for three sounds: bypass, clean and lead.

You'd be making two or more of these pedal boards each with its own bypass switch.

Does that sound right?