Recording Practice.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by alvagoldbook, Jun 16, 2008.

1. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I'm in a rock band. Two guitars, bass, drummer, singer, two backup vox, and I wanna be able to record our practices using my Cubase software. I have attempted this by mic'ing everything to the PA and then sending a line out of the PA to my old Tascam 4 track and then loading that onto my computer, but I'd prefer to do this somehow without using the 4 track because it looses A LOT of the bass frequencies.

In any case, has anyone done this with some success? Any ideas on what kind of mixer to get to accomplish this? Should I go firewire?

The thing that's important is to be able to record, but also be able to hear the vocals in practice. I don't know of any mixers that have outs for monitors.

2. vladshap

vladshap Member

if you have some money, you can get a presonus firestudio+ presonus digimax fs. it will give you 16 channels. Will cost you 900-1000 if you shop around. You would be able to record a full drumset, guitars, bass and vocals.

3. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Look at the new ART interface, Tubefire, I think it's called. It's very much setup to record this way. My take on it is an 8 channel preamp that will feed the channels to your computer via firewire. I'm thinking of ditching my Firepod for one.

4. david henman

david henman Member

...i just stick a good stereo mic up in the middle of the room and record either to a cassette deck or to two channels of my korg d3200.

its only for reference, right?

-dh

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

I record our practices every third or fourth week, and recently switched to a Zoom H2...the sound quality is fantastic, and if you use the 4-channel surround sound, you can also tweak the 'mix' after the fact on your recording software (I use Cakewalk, but anything will do). Again, the quality of the H2 is AMAZING, and it's so simple. Just press the record button and go.

Very very very simple.

6. mbetter

mbetter Member

Just the vocals need to be amplified when you're practicing, correct? Leave the vocals panned to the center, pan everything else hard left. Send the right mixer out to the power amp, mix the left to your taste (vocals will need a lot more gain) and send it to the computer.

What I'd do if I didn't want to buy anything else.

7. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I decided that I'm gonna get a Mackie 1640 mixer. I can send out the (4) bus mixes to my computer and record that way. When I eventually get a better computer with more RAM and processing power I'll upgrade the mixer with firewire and be able to record 16 tracks at the same time.

Of course, in order to use this in practice and hear the vocals, I'll need a power amp. a rack EQ would help too I suppose. I have a rack EQ, but I'll need to get a power amp.

8. jdier

jdier Member

you could also look at getting a headphone amp with multiple ins. I have a 6 phone Oz Audio headphone amp... I put a stereo feed into it that all the phones get, then I put in 4 mono feeds of individual instruments or vocals so each person can shape their own mix to some extent.