recording question!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by southpawmax, Apr 29, 2008.

1. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

So I have a mixer and mics and all that good stuff, but I have been running all analog from my mixer into the microphone input of my laptop. I have some money now so I figured I could buy something like an M-Box and go digital. Now first, I need 2 XLR inputs (a left and right). Also, I don't want it to be over $500. Is the M-Box 2 the best thing for this?

Now a totally unrelated question, I got a few EV 635 interview mics for free. The frequency range makes me think that they wouldn't be great for vocals, but has anyone used them for any studio work with any success?

2. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

A few questions first-

1) So you are going to be coming out of the mixer into the interface? Or you just need 2 preamps?

2) What are you planning to record? (As in how many instruments, genre - Blues is different than metal, even in the reording techniques)

3) Do you prefer any software? (They are all pretty much the same, but some people prefer various ones for various reasons)

4) Ummm... Favorite color?

Okay, so I ran out of questions.

As for the mics - there is an age old adage that works well in the recording end of things: "If it sounds good, it IS good."

So, maybe try 'em out and if they don't sound good, well...

Good Luck,
    Tim

3. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

Yeap, I will go straight from the mixer to the interface. When I have more money a bit down the line I might get a compressor, but at the moment it would just be straight to the interface.

I will be recording drums (with a 4 mic set up, 1 kick, 1 snare, and 2 overhead), bass, guitar, vocals and occasionally a trumpet or saxophone. As for style, it is very varied. The various groups I play in play blues, blues rock, classic/hard rock, jazz, funk, reggae, ska and punk.

As for software, I have been using audacity, which I have grown to not like so much. Basically anything but audacity.

As for color, I'll take the cheapest one haha

Thanks!

4. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I feel like just simple Cakewalk Music Creator would be a nice alternative for you. Its simple and works alright. I feel like I get decent results as far as software goes. I also really like the Cubase LE software that came with my mixer. That might be a good option for you too as far as your interface goes. It is USB, its the Yamaha MW10 http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-MW10C-LIST. I have not had anything else though so this is a completely biased opinion haha!
    Here are some clips of my CRAP, literally...
    http://www.box.net/shared/gns9vfg8wo
    http://www.box.net/shared/a2pm8cy04g

These were both made with a Gibson Faded LP into a DOD Preamp into a Randall RM100 Jtm45 module out a 2x12 LOPO Closed back Convertible cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s captured by a SM57. Again, not the best ever but I plan to make some more complete clips to show what the Randall and my recording setup can do.

5. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Well what about the presonus firedpod (or whatever they're calling them now)?

Eight channels. Eight preamps so you can stop worrying about pre-mixing and you could have more control over your mix later. About the same price as an mBox with more options.

They aren't bad interfaces at all. I just sold my Pro Tools rig as I was tired of it's limitations (Limited inputs, tracks in Pro Tools) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these units.

But ultimately I guess I need to mention this: When the signal comes out of the mixer it has already been pre-amplified, as in it's ready to plug into any line level input on say a power amp. If you take that pre-amplified signal and run it into an input that is expecting a lower level signal, then the second preamp could distort terribly. As in not the good kind of distortion you get when you push a good tube amps input.

So what you should do is this: Go out of your mixer and into a LINE input. (Your laptop may have one already. That should clean up the signal a bit and it'd be stereo instead of the mic input being mono.)

If you want the cheapest way to get into the computer and don't mind using your mixer, look at the Echo Audiofire 4.

I know this is the confusing part, but it will get easier.

Good Luck,
    Tim

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Presonus Firepod, and my Firebox too. Really great sounding preamps with phantom power ability too. Will fit your budget too.

I use the Presonus with my Mac (Garageband) and it works just awesome!!!

Good luck.

Try and record as flat as possible since all the eqing and effects will be added later. I've gotten some GREAT sounding recordings using a 4 mic setup on the drums. Overheads should be condenser mics, SM57 is pretty standard for the snare and the Beta 52 (I think) for the kick drum. I try and put the kick mic on the inside of the drum about half way in pointing off axis at the beater.

Good luck...

Chris

7. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

Thanks for the great feedback!
    I just have a few more questions that kind of highlight my ignorance in this area.
    First, I take it that I go from my mixer into the Firebox or Audiofire? Or is that totally wrong?
    And also, I don't think my desktop or laptop have a line input. My laptop is an old bottom of the line Dell and my desktop is an upgraded Mac Mini. Am I just missing it or is it not there and if it's not there, how do I get around that?

8. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Yes, if you chose a smaller unit with only 2 line inputs, you would run out of your mixer and into the interface. Except once you are there, there is no way to adjust levels. You are STUCK with what you have (for some that's good, but for most that's not what they want.)

I have to suggest the firepod over all of the other units.

What it does is this: You plug your mics into the firepod and it puts each mic on a seperate track in the software. Then you can adjust each mic individually. Reverb on the Snare but no other drums? No problem. Ooops! You wanted a plate reverb instead of a room reverb? No problem.

If you are going to go digital you might as well reap the benefits of it.

As to the other question...

Your computers may not have a line in. Some laptops don't and I'm not sure the mac mini does. I know the MacBook doesn't.

Good Luck,
    Tim