Recording rig built around iMac + UA Apollo Twin Duo - any advice?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JCU, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:06 PM.

1. JCU

JCU Silver Supporting Member

I'm building a Recording "rig" based on an iMac (GB or Logic) and an UA Apollo Twin MkII Duo (Christmas gift) that I already have. My last recording experience dates back to 2001 when I used Cubase, Reason, m-audio USB interface, and a Tuscan 2x2 tape recorder so...I'm a neophyte regarding what is available in 2018.

I will appreciate any advice or guidance on additional HW/SW (monitors, plug-ins, etc) that might be worthy to check-out, and on books/videos/sites that might help me out.

The music I will "try" to record and produce gravitates around POP/Fusion with recorded guitar, bass and vocals, and Midi/Sample based Drums and Keyboards.

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

PS. The UA Twin looks intimidating....

2. the tourist

the tourist Supporting Member

The Apollo Twin is pretty easy to use. Then again I don’t use the unison feature for guitar work.

Out of curiosity, which Twin did you get? Solo, Duo, or Quad?

3. JCU

The Duo.

4. the tourist

You’ll probably want to use lots of non-UA plugins; the DSP for the Duo won’t go too terribly far. Some of the plugins like the Ampex are DSP hogs.

Logic Pro X has some really good built in plugs though.

5. JCU

Thank you. I am looking at UAD’s plugin and they seem to be on the expensive side.

6. Occam

Occam Member

You can always freeze tracks or bounce them in place to print the plugin then delete that plugin while keeping the sound. You lose some flexibility but it’s a reasonable option. I always track with a unison channel strip so I get that sound on the track while also freeing up dsp for later. That being said, I later added some dsp accelerators on sale and that helped a ton.

the tourist likes this.
  7. the tourist

Yeah. I’ve got a Twin Quad so I don’t run out often - especially since I use a lot of the Logic Pro X plugins. I don’t print tracks with effects because I’ve screwed that up bad before and had to have stuff retracked by band mates (they weren’t happy). Someday I’ll pick up one of the accelerators.

8. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Logic Pro X does have some really good plug-ins as other have mentioned and the drummer track is awesome after you watch a few YouTubes on it.
    I would check out Bias Amp as well after you hear it you will reconsider the need to mic a real guitar amp ever again. I'm not joking.

There are a few really great channels out there, here is a good one.