Recording rig possibilities

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Zanary, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Zanary

Zanary Member

I want to start by thanking everyone that contributed to my thread about "speaker emulators". I've gleaned that I need to likely pick up the Palmer unit and a Hotplate, at the very least.

I'm looking to assemble a basic, portable recording rig next year at tax return time. I don't really have room to host the musicians I want to be working with, so my rig will have to go to them.

I'm debating stand-alone DAWs vs. a new laptop, sortware, and an interface. I have an "alumni" discount at the city's largest music store, so I'm certainly giving the DAWs a great deal of thought. The Korg D1600 mk. 2 is an example of where I'm looking hardest right now.

Anyway, as well as the other thread went, I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to weigh in on this. Simplicity is a huge consideration, as my patience for going through hoops just to arm a track is something that swore me off of CuBase forever...if that gives you any idea.

2. beePee

beePee Member

if you are a softwarephobe then I think the Korg D1600 is a good choice I used a Korg D-16 (essentially the same thing but upgraded)for years.It's very intuitive and solid.

Stand alones have really dropped (The 32 track Korg is $1200!!)..The downside is vesatitility and over al quality.Unless you are a great engineer you won't be releasing any of your recordings(unless you don't care).They will sound ok but SA's have many limitations that even the cheapest software doesn't...price,editing FX,midi,converters options,expandability, blah,blah blah

To upgrade the sonic quality ..

all of the standalones have cheap mic pre....invest in a decent mic pre and bypass(turn down the trim) on the SA.

recomedations for the "good" pre

Great Rivers ME 1NV
    Universal audio (610)
    Chandler -Germanium
    all around $1000

you need good speaker monitors to accurately hear what you are recording .again if you are a great engineer you could use radio Shack earbuds but... l

Blue sky- media desk ...or pro desk
    Dynaudio- BM5A
    Adam- A7

all around $1000

Mic's:

Royer 121 or 122($1,000)

if thats to ritch

Sennhieser 421

or if you are a cheap bastard:crazyguy ...

SM57 (btw.. everyone uses a 57)

Those (plus the converter) are the most important chains in a good recording.less iis a comprimise .A Behringer or M -Audio mic pre,monitor, mic or converter regardless of the hype is not going to produce the same results.

Just like being a musician being an engineer takes work and is an art.Minimal effort will produce minmal reults.Poor tools same thing...now you see why most folks go for the software .They want quality over instant gratification....

:BluesBros

BP

3. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

BeePee, I have a Lucid 9624 A/D any experience with it?

4. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

What about the Alesis HD24?

5. Zanary

Zanary Member

The problem is, my patience is nearly infinite when mixing...but I want to get to the "recording" phase quickly. Tinkering with levels, effects, and finding the magic (or lack therof) in the mixing pocess isn't a bother to me.

As far as being a "cheap bastard"...guilty! However, I'm a huge believer in no buying anything sub-pro-grade, thus I'll spend money when I know the return justifies it. I worked in music stores too long to ever believe in "cheap gear". And I'm not quite a softwarephobe...I just hate the simple act of arming a track to take half an hour.

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I've recorded with a Roland VS1880 for years. BeePee makes some good points about standalone units. Bypass the standalone's mic pres and converters. Use an outboard mic pre into an outboard A/D converter then into the recorder via the digital input.