1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recording rock guitar in a small hard room

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MK50H, Feb 26, 2006.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

Hi all, I could use some opinions on setting up my home studio, in particular, to help me to make the best of what I have.

My home studio is quite small (3.3m long x 2.5m wide and 2.55 m high), and I am in the middle of re-arranging the room to get the best sound out of my monitors. The room is all hard surfaces, and the monitors get quite boomy. I'm planning on making some Bass traps for the corners of the room, and putting a thick rug on the floor.

Anyway, I got to thinking about where to put my guitar amp, to get the best tone and versatility, Also, should I deaden the room near the amp.

I also have to decide what amp to use. I have a 1x12" open backed 20W combo, and a 50W head with 2x12" closed back cab. I guess that the 1x12" is the best (although I do love my 50w head more).

I can drive the smaller amp harder without upsetting the neighbours. I have noted that the 50W head & 2x12" get reall boomy in the small space.

So, which amp would you choose (they are both REALLY nice), where would you place it in the room (corner, center...), and would you use any acoustic treatment (standing on a rug , raised off the floor, deaden the wall behind...)

Thanks
    Neil

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

Corner placement will give you more low end. If you want less boomy keep the amp away from corners and walls. Getting the amp of the floor will take some off the low end out too.

If the room already sounds boomy, rugs and foam will make it worse, they don't absorb low frequencies. They will absorb highs and mids.

That said, if you close mic the cab with a 57 or like, boominess should not come into play.

As far as amp choice, why not try the 50w head with the 1x12 in the combo.

3. covert

covert Member

Amp off the floor, on a chair or something. Get a couple of moving blankets, the thick quilted kind, and hang them on mic stands, or whatever around the amp.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Listen to me, keep your eyes on my pocket watch as it swings slowly back and forth, back and forth...

Getting your amp up off the floor is good advice (I use an Auralex Gramma, which is really pretty cool), but that room is perfect for electric guitar. In fact, put in some mirrors, tile, anything REALLY hard and shiny.

Herewith is my beaten-to-death-on-this-forum sure-fire can't-fail miking technique for a guitar cab:

Put the speaker cab in a very resonant small space, like the room you described. Choose whichever amp/cab combination sounds better to you, just generally "better" for the guitar, the song, whatever. If it's the 2x12 cab, choose the better sounding speaker.

Place the SM57 about 1.5 inches from the grill, dead-on axis, pointed directly at the seam where the dust cap meets the cone. Use a flashlight if necessary to make sure you're aimed at the right spot.

Reflective areas such as tiled bathrooms and hallways tend to focus a huge amount of sound back into the mic. As long as the mic is not too far from the reflective surfaces, you should not have any comb-filtering problems and normally will get an acoustically much richer sound.

5. MK50H

MK50H Member

Like it says above, thanks loads for your help. It really helps me out, it seems like there are a million and one things to fix/learn/setup/buy/sell...

Advice like this gets rid of weeks of trial and error, and possibly still getting a bad sound.

Thanks again
    Neil