Recording setup, A/D converter + soundcard or both-in-one ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soulgolem, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Now let's assume I have the following :

Mics : Shure Beta 57, MXL V69ME, Sennheiser E906
    Preamps : A&H mixer and later on Grace 101 or others.
    Software : Cakewalk or Protools.
    Monitors : Not sure yet but something in the 300-500$ range.

So all I'm missing is an A/D converter and a soundcard right ?
    I read soundcards already have A/D converters within them, and since the overall quality is usually as good as the weak chain in the recording setup, I want to go for something that is on par with what I have in mind. So should I go for a seperate A/D converter and souncard, or one that has both features ?

Also, can you confirm me that this setup can give me better results than an all-in-one bundle like the Mbox or other preamp/converter/soundcard interfaces ?

Could I have latency issues with such equipment ?

Thank you very much.
    Francis.

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

How many channels do you need to record at once?

If you plan to use a stereo out from the A&H, then a Lynx soundcard is one of the best ones around.

If you want more than 2 channels, the Linx might be prohibitively expensive, since you'll need an adat daughter card plus an 8 channel A/D/A. Although the Aurora8 with the firewire option will kick major butt. Again, not cheap.

I'd say ditch the A&H, get a Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ the firewire card. You'll be trading mediocre A&H preamps for less mediocre Mackie preamps.

3. tms13pin

tms13pin Member

I've got a MOTU 1224 I'll sell ya.

--Tom

4. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I use a MOTU 896 and 828mkII. Either would work well, depending on how many mic inputs you need.

5. muddy

muddy Member

your best bet is to get a GOOD a/d converter, maybe 2nd hand. i've seen the mytek 2ch a/d units going 2nd hand for around $700, which is an AWESOME price for a converter that people who can't afford a prism buy. otherwise, i picked up a lucid ad9624 for $500 2nd hand (lucid is on a par with apogee's offering within that price range), and i use it's clock via s/pdif to sync my soundcard's clock to, which greatly improves it's converters' performance. the only "soundcard" who's converters are worth anything at all are lynxs, and you'd still wanna get a decent clock to sync it to. don't throw your money at an expensive solution just because you think you'll be getting better converters; you won't. good converters cost money, MUCH more than what digidesign or motu have to apportion for them. look at it this way. a GOOD converter (ONE channel) will cost you $425 & up; now subtract that from your soundcard/solution's price. see what i mean?

ml