Recording Star Spangled Banner - need feedback

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soundhound, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm doing a job for someone, doing the Jimi Star Spangled Banner. Good fun, but there's no money to go into a studio, so I'm doing it at home all in Garageband. I've got a decent sound going (using fulltone wah, sweet sound univibe, mos distortion, a few delays etc, into a POD believe it or not, into the mac). The problem is there's no feedback, and I need to work up some controlled feedback for all the wailing in the middle. (I just can't crank any amps at home to create the feedback, way too loud) Anyone have any ideas how to create that?

thanks!

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can try splitting the signal to one of those little battery powered mini amps, and move it in close to the pickups when you need feedback.

Or method 2, use a second pair of headphones and bring them close to the guitar. I believe Jimi used this method to make those seagull chips in 1983.

3. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Deynle, I've been trying holding my guitar up to the speakers I'm monitoring through, but it's not giving me anything. Maybe I need to hold it closer? It's a G&L Legacy with Suhr V60LP pickups.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Big shielded monitors probably won't work very well. You need small speakers with moderate volume.

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm using small home monitors, will try again this afternoon, thanks!