Recording the guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by polifemo, Jun 7, 2006.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

After a recording session that resulted in a "not to good guitar tone" I´ve decided to record the guitarparts in my own computerbased little "studio" (well, my study that is) at home.

As I´m not an experienced sound engineer I´d like to hear some ideas on mic placement.

My approach is usually to have a Shure SM57 quite close to the membrane (is that the correct English word for it...) slightly angeled towards the centre of the speaker.
    If i want more treble, I move the mic closer to the centre and if I need less treble I move it towards the side.

:confused:

ps I´ll be doing both: really clean, slightly breakup/crunch and high gain-tones ds

2. EVT

EVT Member

3. polifemo

polifemo Member

4. EVT

EVT Member

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    This is what works for me in most situations:

SM57: no more than 2 inches off the grille cloth and starting with it aimed at dead center angle the mic about 30 to 45 degrees towards the cone, with the speaker center pointing straight into the mic capsule, but with the mic angled such that it points about half way up the cone. Turning away from the speaker center attenuates the harsh higher frequencies per the mic's polar pattern.

Sennheiser e609 silver and MD421 prefer to point straight into the speaker but off center and to the side of the dust cap edge. Also no more than 2 inches back from the grille cloth.