• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recording The Same Speaker In A 2x12 And A 4x12 -Differences?

mAx___

Will it make any noticeable difference in recorded tone if I put my favourite speaker (currently inside a 2x12 cabinet) inside a 4x12 Marshall-style half stack? Assuming the microphone is at the same close distance and angle, etc.

My guess is it will not, but I wanted to ask anyway just in case...

Cirrus

It will, mostly in the low end but how much it matters will depend on your style. Also assuming at fully populated cab the speaker in a 4x12, all else being equal, will have half the wattage going through it which means a more crisp sound and more headroom.

Heady Jam Fan

Mojave amps did a sound test about this question: 1x12 vs 2x12 vs. 4x12. here are the clips:

http://mojaveampworks.com/2012/01/c...ts-the-difference-between-a-1-2-4x12-cabinet/
That's what I'd expect for that mic positioning, but what about a close mic?
There was a thread about this the other day - a close mic for a gig - and I thought the consensus was the cab size doesn't make a difference. I can see what Cirrus is saying about how hard the amp is working, etc - thats a good point too.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member

FbIsNotE

The primary factor in the differences would be if both 2x12 and 4x12 were closed back cabs. In that case the "air spring" loading in the cab would be different and thus affect the natural mounted resonance (not the inherent resonance of the motor structure).

If the cabs are open back then I would expect the difference to be minimal provided there is good isolation from the other drivers in both cases.

woof*

I’ve done a lot of studio recording and it definitely does.
Edit to add:
Most engineers will at least use two mics, one close at axis on one speaker, and another mic out in the room 10-15’ and mix both for ambient.
A 4x12 will have more depth than a 2x12. Bigger sound recorded.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom