Recording Vocals with Helix - Best Settings

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GuitarKidd, Dec 7, 2016.

1. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I'm looking to do some recordings with the Helix and have been practicing at home.

Is there a "best practice" when it comes to setting up the helix to record vocals.

I"m currently using a MXL 990 Condenser Mic. Seems to do a decent job for the money.
    When it comes to the Helix, of course I turn on Phantom Power.
    But what about DB Gain in the global Settings for the mic?
    I'm also using Garageband to record into.

When setting up a vocal path in the helix are you guys using anything else in the chain, preamp, effects, etc., and at what settings?

What I am finding is that at times, I'm either too hot or too low in my recorded volume. Of course these seems to be several ways to skin this cat. Just looking for some best practices and ways to approach it.

2. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

No one recording vocals with Helix? No insight, no suggestions?

3. jawgee

jawgee Member

I already have different interfaces for recording vocals other than my Helix, but I am interested in using the Helix for live vocals. Adding in things like a bit of reverb or delay, some compression, and maybe some harmony I think would be cool to be able to control in a live acoustic setting.

4. dshow

dshow Member

Have a look at the TEMPLATES Setlist. Patches 04A and 04b should be a good start.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  5. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

As suggested, start with the template. What I noticed is that the level is quite low. So I just used turned up the level in the output block until I got a healthy signal with no clipping at the peak of the performance.

What I like is to use the LA comp, a eq and a plate reverb. At the same time, I record the DI as well (USB 8, if I remember correctly). That way you can always experiment with re-amping later. It also makes it easier to test the possibilities with Helix without straining the vocalist ;)

I love that Helix is an interface as well as a modeler / processor.

Regards.