Recording wewbie ... laptop or stand-alone recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zoooombiex, Dec 17, 2009.

1. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

So for someone who knows nothing about recording, can anyone give me a quick rundown on the pro's and con's of getting a laptop-based system compared to a standalone multi-track unit like a Korg D3200? cost, quality versatility in recording, editing, mixing, etc...

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

Go for the laptop. that way you can keep updating software .

3. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

+1. More versatile.

4. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Depends. I use both the Boss Br1600 and a Laptop with Cubase.The Stand alone will allow you to record multi channels simultaneously and it has a familiar tape deck interface. It is easier to setup and use at a gig or at band practice. The Laptop will allow for deep editing and enable you to add midi drums etc. IMO The main advantage to the Laptop is file management and storage. The main advantage to the Stand alone is straight forward simplicity. Sometimes the computer will bog down your creative spark. It is hard sometimes to be both a musician and an engineer at the same time.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

6. alohachris

alohachris Member

Aloha,

Computers definitely can yield better sonic results and control than Korg type stand alones. But, if you want to avoid TONS OF HASSLES, then dedicate a lap or desktop computer solely for the purpose of recording as a standalone.

DO NOT use your everyday computer for recording. The constant uprgades of everything will kill ya, especially if it's a PC.

You'll thank me if you use this advice.

Stand alone recorders are OK but limited and often sound compressed once you build tracks (I've tried many including all the Boss'es and Tascams). I don't like being limited to 44.1 khz sampling either.

I've been a PC man since they first came out. But for the most HASSLE FREE home computer recording chain, I only use a Mac/Logic Pro 9 DAW/ Apogee interface/Glyph ext. HD storage combo.

It's fully integrated for software and hardware thus eliminating most compatibility issues with your basic rig. I recommend it highly. The sound is excellent.

If Logic is too daunting, then just start with the free Garageband which comes with every Mac and use it as your DAW. It's simple and easy to get nice results right away with. Or if you want to start on your current laptop, just download the free Audacity DAW.

But dedicate a computer solely for recording.

What kind of recording are you pursuing? What result do you seek?

alohachris