Recording with a POD

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by slhguitar, Jan 27, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Anyone have any experience with this? Im thinking about picking one up to do recording while im away for university. Half Stack+Apartment=Kicked out.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Amp purists are gonna hate me for this...

It's not a way to get great guitar tone, that's a given. But it's a great way to get a lot of different tones.

I use it sometimes if want a sound that's different from what I can get with my small guitar rig. Also if I just want to plug in and play quickly with a minimum of set-up and/or exterior noise. In other words, when I'm drunk (just kidding... sorta).

It's got what, 15 - 20 different amp models...? I can't afford – or store – 15 - 20 amps! I love playing around with it. Sometimes a different sound inspires a new idea. Sometimes I'll even keep the experimental (i.e. drunk) track on the master, because it's the sound around which the song is built.

So yeah, sure, it's great! But if I was going off to school I'd at least bring a small amp, too. Girls don't respond the same to a Pod. What's a guitar god without an amp?

3. RGN

RGN Member

When I bought the POD XT I planned to use it for a couple weeks and return it to GC for a full refund-- that was 3 years ago. I really love the little thing. I own a Diezel VH4, a Bogner 101B and a VHT 100CL so I have a wide array of great tube amps. The POD isn't anywhere near as fun as plugging into one of those and moving some air. But, if I think of an idea at 1am I can get it recorded without having a SWAT team show-up at my crib. Also, sometimes I used the POD's effects when plugging into my other amps. You can make VERY good recording with a POD. Sometimes it will rival a real mic'd tube amp IMO. The POD Tube Pre-Amp patch has also worked extremely well for direct recording Bass. POD XT's are $299 now. I think it was $399 when I bought mine and it was well worth it IMO.

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

Michael is giving up his age here. Girls today avoid guitar geeks like the plague. Buy a BMW instead and prepare for a good time.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've also found this to be true. It's pretty easy to dial in a tone that can fit a specific frequency niche and not clog things up.

6. joseph

joseph Member

You probably haven't read the John Mayer (aka Greek God blues guitarist) interview in GP recently.
    Things may be once again cycling back to young musicians (so we're REALLY showing our age).

My favorite quote BTW, about women and appearances, from Benjamin Franklin: "All cats are grey in the dark."

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

8. bailnout

bailnout Member

WOW, nice clips dude! I'm gonna hafta git me one a dem Hot Plate thingamajigs.

I use a PODxt Live for recording at the house. I agree with an earlier post that there are some tones in there that just drop right into mixes nicely with very little fuss or muss. It makes it real easy to do demos.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread that I think is important to note about the POD, mine at least, is the re-amp feature. You can record a track and then tweak the POD during playback to get the exact tone that works for the song and mix. When you are actually recording the track you can use whatever sound floats your boat though. Pretty cool stuff. It really gets interesting when you copy the original track to multiple tracks then reamp each track differently to get cool layers of different amp tones.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Having a nice amp definitely provide inspiring tone, but chops makes a bolder statement no matter what you plug into... great as always Matte!

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Hey Matte, this might be a stupid question but what's a "JG"?

Killer track by the way. I bet we'd get along in a jam. You sound like you've had some of the same influences as I've had.

12. RGN

RGN Member

Sometimes... I go guitar>Diezel>2X12>SM57 into a Pod XT into a computer.

I use the POD to adjust mic levels and add a bit of reverb,etc... The POD seems to work pretty well as a mic pre-amp. Anyone else try this?

13. matte

matte Senior Member

You're very kind. Thank you.

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

Not with the POD but with a Guitar Port. Yes, it does work nicely for that too. :)

15. onemind

onemind Member

I've gotten great recorded sounds with OD pedals into a clean patch on the POD, the TIM works wonderfully for this, and so does a Fulldrive II.

16. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Add Zendrive to that list... I don't know what it is but you can really hear the character of those pedals really nicely!

17. matte

matte Senior Member

18. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

19. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I bought the first version of the pod when it originally came out, and I've used the heck out of it for the last 8 years or so. I think it's great! I've never even felt the need to get any of the upgrades or anything.
    Personally, I think it's ideal for recording multiple guitar parts...to me, when recording you really need something that works in the context of the mix, and the pod allows you access to a huge number of sounds that you can tweak very quickly to get something that works. I definitely recommend it.

20. bailnout

bailnout Member