Recording with cranked amps

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Texas_Blues, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I want to record myself with my cranked Blues Jr, but when I use my crappy mic (Its the kind anchormen use the one that clips on your clothes) it gets all distorted (Even though my amp tone is clean) is there any way for me to record my cranked amp without getting that distorted tone.

2. Bussman

Bussman Member

Back up the mic alot. Better yet get a quality dynamic mic.

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Sounds like you are overloading one or more of the following: mic; mic pre; mixer/recorder input. FYI, a clean amp generally has more dynamics than an overdriven amp, so it is easier to overload or clip one or more links in the recording chain. From the info given, my first inclination would be to change the mic and see what happens. What bussman said. A shure sm57 is a good choice.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

You answered your own question. A good dynamic mic can handle the SPLs of close miking a guitar amp.

5. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Ok thanks, how much do those mics run for used and new?

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    SM57 for $80 new. Sennheiser e609silver around $109 new the last time I checked.

EDIT: this is a personal preference thing, but for clean tracks I prefer the e609.
    EDIT II: or better yet, and for more money, a Sennheiser MD421 will get you lovely clean guitar tracks.

7. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

Is Audacity the only free recording software out on the internet? Also do I need something to connect it to my computer?

8. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes you will need an audio interface..you can get USB or Firewire ones.. you can even get some for around 100 bucks now that will do the basic job. That and a mic cable and an SM 57 will get you started..go to
    www.sweetwater.com to check out some of the different recording gear... you don't have to buy from there, but it's a great place to view gear.

rock

bford