Recording with GuitarPort

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Sauntman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

I ordered a Line 6 GuitarPort, but didn't get the RiffTracker (Riffworks) recording software with it. Does anybody have any recommendations for recording software (just recording guitar) for under $150? Anybody use any software other than RiffTracker with their GuitarPort? Such as Cakewalk Guitar Pro or Cubase SE? Or, would it be best to get the RiffTracker ($100) as it is supposed to be "seamless" when using with GuitarPort? :confused:

2. suislide03

suislide03 Member

I use Cubase SX, and works very well. Low latency and all without any hitches. Think i tried cakewalk and adobe audition at first, but after Cubase i never looked back.

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

I use audacity, its free, it works, & you can import backing tracks in various formats, .wav, .mp3, egg vorbis(?), you can find it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

4. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

I downloaded a demo of Mackie's Tracktion 2 software. I have read comments about Tracktion being a good entry level program because of its ease of use, but with lots of features to take you well beyond the beginner stage. Still, I would like to be able to compare this program to Cubase SE and something like Cakewalk Home Studio 4. I don't think either of these are available for demo downloads. Anyone here ever use Mackie Tracktion 2? Also, I did download Audacity and will tinker with it as well to see if it would suit my needs and save me the $$$.

5. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

Ok, so I figured out how to record my guitar through Guitarport and onto Audacity. How do I go about importing drum loops or backing tracks? So I can record myself attempting to jam over these backing tracks?

6. bobgoblin

drag the file into the open audacity window.

do this before you open guitar port, i've found that sometimes opening guitar port before opening & setting all the parameters in audacity keeps it from functioning properly.

just to be clear:

open audacity
    open the folder that you store you're backing tracks/drum loops in
    drag the bt/dl loop from that folder into the open audacity window
    plug in the guitar port & open the gp program
    make sure that the gp is the preferred recording device
    rock out

good luck, buddy!

7. Sauntman

Sauntman Member

I downloaded the backing tracks for Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" to my hardrive. I got the MP3 file from GuitarBt.com. I clicked on "Projects" then "Imput Audio" and Audacity opened up the MP3 and showed it as a track. I plugged in my Guitarport (using Gearbox now), selected the preset tone "Sunshine Box" and played along while recording myself with this backing track. Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to do! For now, Audacity is all I need. I managed to learn how to use Guitarport and Audacity in a few hours over two days and I now have Labor Day to go on this holiday weekend!!!

8. bobgoblin

Kick ass, man, glad it worked out for ya!