Recording With Just Amp Farm???

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by football, Dec 24, 2009.

1. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Traveling to Florida from Boston to do a 10 song CD. Studio is an old Pro Tools rig running on OS9 :-(

The engineer plans on using "Amp Farm" which I've always found extremely uninspiring. I mentioned that I hoped to find some other alternative, he told the client I didn't want to but we would use Amp Farm regardless.

I use Overloud's TH1 a lot but that won't run on his rig (nor will any recent amp simulators). If I owned a laptop I'd bring that with my Apogee Duet and everything would be fine.

I was hoping to come up with a solution to use something else but that wouldn't cost a fortune. In the meantime, does anyone here use Amp Farm much and like it? BTW, it's a rock record so mostly Marshally type overdrive sounds.

2. djd100

djd100 Member

Assuming an old TDM rig (don't have any experience with PT LE), I've found the TDM OS9 Amp Farm to sound real good.

I generally use the Matchless/Marshall/Fender models with the 4-12 Near-Off Axis to track, usually with a AC Booster, Modded Sparkle Drive, or OCD in front with minimum drive for boost, followed with convolution cabs via Altiverb during the mix (1028 sample latency via Direct Connet/HTDM, so the convolution cabs are best left for mix). If he has Mic Modeler and Analog Channel 2 plugs they help as well.

I tend to use fairly bright low power PAF style humbuckers mostly into a quality mic pre (Digi Pre or UA LA-610 into Apogee converters most often). It sounds good with single coils too, but not so good with over-wound high output humbuckers which are all midrange etc.

Good luck...

3. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the informative reply. Makes me a little less nervous about tracking a whole CD with it if I don't come up with an alternative (which I probably won't). Yup, it's an old TDM rig.

4. djd100

djd100 Member

The old Mix systems are killer with Altiverb and quality converters, it'll be fine.

One thing I forgot, make sure you plug your guitar into a Hi-Z mic pre guitar/instrument input to make sure your passive pups are loaded similarly to a real guitar amp (assuming passive pups etc).

Have fun...