Recording with PC-soundcard and mixer.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soulgolem, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hello everyone, i'm new at recording, I want to record our band's demo or pre-demo, to have a hold of how the songs are suposed to sound. I want something PC-based since we need to record and lay down a lot of tracks, there will be a lot of sounds and differents parts for many different instruments on the songs.

A friend of mine was using Pro-Tools and an Mbox, seemed to work fine for him except for some latency problem. Thing is, our band owns a A&H MixWizard, so all i need would be a computer-based soundcard and plug the mixer through it right ? Then with a software and studio monitors i can start recording ? Is that all there is to know ?

I'm really new at this, and i would appreciate to have answers to theses questions.

Thanks,
    Francis.

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I use two Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro, 12-channel mixers, which we will call mix1 and mix2. I use this method to eliminate the latency.

Mix1 is used for monitoring only
    Mix2 is used as a patchbay

All my instruments are connected to mix2. Main Out goes to the MBox and Tape Out goes to Mix1. What this does is allows me to split my guitar signal in Mix2 to the MBox (for recording) and Mix1 (for monitoring during recording).

ProTools is set-up to NOT accommodate for latency, which reduces the stress on your processor.

Okay... pay close attention. The MBox Out goes to Mix1 with latency during playback/recording. My guitar signal is also in Mix1 BUT without latency because it never hits the Mbox, the other signal from Mix2's main out goes to the Mbox for recording, but I never hear that signal because in ProTools during the recording, I mute the channel strip with my guitar signal coming from Mix2. Why do I mute? Because I don't want to hear the latency with that signal during the recording, plus I already have my guitar signal without latency in Mix1.

It does NOT matter how latent the playback is during the recording because with the channel stip on mute in ProTools, I don't hear any delay in my guitar or any other instrument. Mix1 has all the instrument audio that does NOT hit the Mbox.

I just record away with the latent playback without every hearing a latent guitar audio.

I hope I did not confuse... but by using two mixers, I have absolutely ZERO latency!!

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

I understand your logic, sounds like a great ingenius idea, though, i don' t think i can afford another mixer just now, isn't there just a soundcard out there that takes care of latency issues ? Something else than the Mbox. Something i could plug my mixer outs directly onto and record direct, no USB ports. Does that solve the problem ?

Francis.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I could be wrong, but I don't know of a reasonably priced sound card that has zero latency.

An alternative, which I did for years, is to split your signal at the source. Take a PODxt for an example. Stereo outs, L and R. I went to Radio Shack and got a adapter that split the signal from each out put. On set of signals goes to the Mbox, the other set with no latency, goes to the mixer for monitoring. Same effect, but way less expensive.

Now that there is an M-Powered verison of ProTools, you have a tone of sound card options from M-Audio with or without breakout boxes!!

5. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

What is the difference between the M-powered pro tools and the pro tools LE software ?

Francis.

6. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I believe the features and functionality is the same.

Visit the Digidesing web site... they should have the answers you need. If it doesn't, contact them... they have great support!