Recording with the Fractal AxeFx

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Getting a good tone down for recording tracks isn't always easy with micing live amps in a less than perfect room. I'm not always getting the sound I hear out of the amp captured so well on tape.

I know from recording digital drums tracks it makes live so much easier to get a good sound so I'm thinking a Fractal unit might be the way to go for the guitar. I haven't kept up with the first models through the upgraded revisions but what do you guys who have experience with this think?

2. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry Supporting Member

Start at the source.
    If the amp is sounding/responding well... then it's just a matter of capturing it.
    If the amp isn't sounding good (in the room), the solution isn't mics/preamps/outboard.

Assuming you're liking the sound of the amp, start with a classic basic approach.
    Take a single SM57... and move it around until you get a recorded tone that's at least in the ballpark.
    Once you've got that, you can add a second mic... to fill out the tone.
    It's common to combine a SM57 with a condenser or ribbon mic.
    Condenser or ribbon will both add more bottom/top... and add some detail that the SM57 doesn't capture.
    A dynamic mic like the SM57 isn't going to capture a lot of the room.

Even if the experimentation gets frustrating, it's practical knowledge/experience that you'll have accumulated.
    If you do move to an Axe-FX III, you'll have a much better foundation for understanding exactly what's being modeled/simulated.
    ie: Knowledge/experience micing real cabs will help with Cab IR choice (or even creating your own), to achieve exactly what you're looking for.
    The greater your experience, the less time you'll spend down the IR rabbit-hole.

riffy likes this.
  3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

The Axe III is an amazing sounding unit. Love mine! I use it regularly.

That being said, these days, I get fantastic tone using my amps and the Waza TAE. I find myself using this more lately.

4. rkbrock

rkbrock Member

Even the 1st and 2nd gen are amazing units capable of making excellent recordings.

5. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry Supporting Member

Great amp into Waza TAE sounds fantastic.
    JCM-800, BE-100 Deluxe, an Archon 100 all sound excellent thru the TAE.
    Revival Drive into the Return (using TAE for Cab sim, EQ, Delay, Reverb) also sounds good.

BE-100 Deluxe into TAE is the best sounding/feeling direct recording solution I've tried.
    Went back to using Axe-FX III... because it's just more practical for my physical space.

dougb415 likes this.
  6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Jeez Tweed, you’re really turning to the dark side, first VST synths and now modelers. :aok

7. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

I’m probably getting lazy in my advancing old age, but the Axe FX III has made things a lot easier in my studio. Before I would have to get tone right, set up the mics and stands, play, adjust levels, etc, repeat. Now I plug an SPDIF cable from the AF3 to my UAD Apollo, boom! Done. So easy.

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Well, synth's excluded, it's basically in the interest of recording stuff. It's hard to do with analog mic'd equipment in a crummy plaster wall room :waiting

9. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Hey, no problem from me. I’m a long time Fractal user and just bought a III in February. But I’m too cheap to own any analog synths, except maybe my old Juno 2, which is sort of analog.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  10. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Axe Fx III > UA Apollo Twin > Logic Easy as that. Sounds incredible

It also sounds great going straight in to the computer via USB

11. djd100

djd100 Member

If you already have amps you like, and you only need base amp/cab/mic/pre tones for recording (i.e. you;'re doing the rest in the box), then consider a load/box and IR player solution etc.

If you have real amp mic'ing experience, then consider the Two Notes cab sim stuff as their cab sims have real-time adjustable multi-mic positioning (as well as IR abilities).

12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Recording is what these devices excel at. Fractal would make a great choice! If the budget is there go with latest generation....FM3 or Axe III.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  13. LaXu

LaXu Member

This is how I would go if you already have favorite amps but I think digital will sound just as good.

Before jumping right into the deep end with Fractal, I would try the top amp and cab sim plugins on the market, which IMO are the following in no particular order:
    • Line6 Helix Native
    • Scuffham S-Gear
    • Mercuriall
    • NeuralDSP
    • MIKKO (awesome cab sim)