Recreating Volume Pot Set at "7" with a Fixed Circuit, in Floor Box

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Zero, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Zero

Zero Member

I want to make a circuit that I can put in a project box w/¼" I/O jacks since I don't want to rewire all of my guitars. I want what I get with a volume pot, with a treble bleed cap, set at "7", yet with a fixed circuit. No pot. Would I just check with a volt meter what the pot reads in ohms at "7", get the needed resistor(s) and solder that in parallel with the cap between two jacks?

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

You could use resistors, it will take two to simulate the two resistances on either side of the volume pot wiper. I would just use a trim pot of the correct value and wire it with the bypass cap so you could have some ajustment if needed.

3. Zero

Zero Member

I have been doing that for awhile now except that I realized for some reason when the pot is set to 6, 7, or 8 there is a rise in hiss, especially noticed with an OD pedal on. I thought a straight circuit might stop that. But thanks.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Shouldn't make any difference in noise whether fixed or varible but I would house it in an aluminium box for shielding.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

which pot? out of which pickup? into which impedance load? with which treble pass capacitor?

"7" on one guitar is different from "7" on a different guitar, is different from "7" into a particular amp.

this frankly sounds like another silly idea for taking something that involves a tiny bit of practice (cleaning up the sound by adjusting your volume on the fly), and trying to "cheat" by building it into some sort of pedal.

6. Zero

Zero Member

500k pot. Duncan Distortion. Not sure. 470 pf. Like I said, I've already been doing it with the pot in a box set a 7. It isn't a matter of doing something on the fly with a little practice. I always want it at 7. Since I never change it I thought why not just make it a fixed circuit.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'll buy that.:)

far be it from me to discourage weird gear set-ups, as that can be a real source of new sounds, but why deprive yourself of the option of that pickup at full power? or alternately,if a hot distortion-type pickup on "10" is just not part of your "tone palette" (it's not part of mine, either) why not just find a pickup that gets a sound you like at full power, so you can skip the extra step?

i would hazard a guess that a vintage paf-type pickup on 10 would work sort of like a d. distortion turned down a little, and be more natural sounding to boot.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

What you are looking for is a 'pad.'

Your sugestion seems like a valid approach but consider using a clean boost pedal or compressor set to diminish the signal and then you still have the option of higher output, as required.

9. Zero

Zero Member

I didn't want to bore anyone with details but the reason I came up with this is years ago I had a DiMarzio X2N that was faulty. It was weak and bright. A RAT2 pedal was my mainstay as well as the guitar with this X2N, I always used them together. Later as I aquired more guitars and normal pickups I realized there was something wrong with the old X2N. What I did not like was the way normal pickups interacted with the RAT pedal. I lean towards high output PU's and they turn the RAT into more of a fuzz pedal. The low end all loose and undefined. Turning a volume pot that had a treble bleed cap down made it sound more how I liked, with a tight low end & wasn't fuzzy. So i put one in a little box with in's & out's.

So that's why I thought, well why not just fix the signal at "7", my sweet spot? If it were my main pedal I used all the time (still) and planned to forever, sure - new pickups might be the way to go. Or just use the old X2N. But this way I can use the RAT with any guitar I have and get the sound I like out of it.

For Tone_Terrific, I have tried a GE7 pedal to simulate but I found it too noisy. I do use a clean boost though after the RAT to cut the distortion down & get a mid-gain sound sound.

This whole setup is boosting a somewhat distorting amp BTW. Yeah, a weird set-up I know :crazy:

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Would a visual volume pedal accomplish the same thing? Find the point where the Rat sounds 'right' and simply use the LED's on the volume pedal to consistently achieve that level.

11. Zero

Zero Member

Not sure if it would "bleed" treble though like a pot with a cap. I supose a cap could be added to the pot inside the volume pedal. Good idea.