Recreational Marijuana law - still a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Strat, Dec 20, 2018.

1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

well if your attitude and approach in business is anything like it is here i can only assume you are wildly successful

cogan and A-Bone like this.
  2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

anyone find it ironic to complain about the long laundry lists of side effects to pharmaceuticals and then then refuse to read a post concerning the reported side effects of marijuana because the post was too long?

FiestaRed, RhytmEarl, cogan and 2 others like this.
  3. s2y

s2y Member

Is there anything a 22 year old doesn't know better than the rest of us? ;) I know plenty of baristas who could fix healthcare if they were in charge.

It may be illegal for pharmacy to be involved. Reading up is hardly forbidden. It could become part of their job description. I'm still amazed that a 22 year old can dispense, but an educated pharmacist can't.

cogan, EricPeterson and A-Bone like this.
  4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

maybe he is walking away from millions of dollars because he doesn’t want to play a brutal sport that has such a devastating effect on his body that he has to take some kind of drug to bear it and the powers that be refuse to listen to him and other players about treatments that help them.

5. Strat

Strat Member

I can't understand why you insist on a role for pharmacists. Do you understand that they cannot be involved within the traditional pharmacists role as dispensing pharmaceuticals via retail establishments and in hospital settings due to federal law ? Don't you wonder why Walgreens and CVS etc are not in the game ? Why would a pharmacist want or need to know ANYTHING about marijuana other than for personal use ? Believe me, they don't care nor will they unless the game changes.

cogan likes this.
  6. Strat

Strat Member

cogan likes this.
  7. s2y

s2y Member

I stated "could become part of their job description" not "is part of their job description". There's the potential for FDA approved and regulated products. I'd much rather a pharmacist is involved when being utilized for medical purposes than some random 22 year old. Accuracy and knowledge base wouldn't even be close. At best, a 22 year old might be almost done with college. Pharmacists have at least 6 years of college and a doctor of pharmacy under their belt.

A-Bone likes this.
  8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I assume they are not in the game due to the structure of current law, which is anything but sacrosanct. I absolutely think corporate interests will be moving into the marijuana game as the industry develops and if laws continue on their current trajectory.

A-Bone likes this.
  9. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I did. I also noticed this thread would not contain such irony if the discussion had stayed on topic:)." Recreational"....before it grew legs!
    I wonder if it could head back in that direction?

EricPeterson likes this.
  10. cogan

cogan Member

I think the issue is not so much a lack of clarity on ridiculous federal law (DEA regulations) preventing the involvement of pharmacists, but rather the question of "why do the states circumvent other federal laws (FDA regulations) and allow for the almost wholly unregulated (to varying degrees depending on the state) sale by 22 year-olds of cannabis products with unfounded medical claims and little meaningful research?"

A-Bone and EricPeterson like this.
  11. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I think they are hard to divorce, and 40+ pages in, the thread is remarkably on topic (or at least close to) considering.

cogan and A-Bone like this.
  12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

See also: supplements industry

A-Bone and cogan like this.
  13. cogan

cogan Member

The method of exposure offers a whole other layer of complexity. Along with the common detriments of smoking anything, there is some research suggesting that the risk of heart attack increases 8-fold in the hour after smoking a joint.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11401936

However, current practices with orally ingesting cannabinoids (CBD in particular) involve huge mega-doses, often hundreds of times greater than what we have historical experience with when smoking. Ingested cannabinoids also results in "first-pass metabolism" because the blood from the gut dumps directly into the liver where the bulk of metabolism occurs. This results in whole body exposure to huge doses of dozens of cannabinoid metabolites about which we don't really know anything and which have never been part of cannabinoid exposure in the bulk of people who have used it historically through smoking.

To demonstrate why such metabolites may be of concern, I linked a paper in "the longest post ever" that demonstrated that CBD damages the structure of DNA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6342871/

Of interest is the fact that they saw substantially greater DNA damage after the CBD was metabolized, meaning one or more of these many high dose metabolites that we are just now starting to get significant exposure to is likely the culprit. Again, lots of assumptions about what is safe in the cannabis world.

To be clear, none of this has been "proven" as such studies are preliminary and need to be replicated and probed more deeply with more experiments. But the burden of proof is different for risk than it is efficacy. If you see signs of risk, or have a clear theoretical expectation of it, it's generally best to assume it's real until proven otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Norsegod, EricPeterson and A-Bone like this.
  14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

You are hashing my mellow brah.

Norsegod, A-Bone and cogan like this.
  15. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

They are...very true. But...I see a distinct difference when we look at: recreational use, decriminalization and medical use.
    2 of those three for me...legalize! Recreational use...I still am on the fence. Same ole set of pros vs cons. More data and studies needed for me!
    Carry on!

EricPeterson likes this.
  16. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

cogan likes this.
  17. cogan

cogan Member

I think we're still on topic. It is often assumed that medical MJ is the more reasonable path, but IMHO, the states are getting it backwards. Recreational legalization makes much more sense given the data we have on the therapeutic claims. Indulge if you want, for whatever reason you want and accept that the states are going to tax the bejesus out of it. What I take umbrage with is the states and private industry accruing tax revenue and turning profits off of bull@#$% promises made to often desperate people.*

*Where "bull@#$%" doesn't necessarily mean statements that are false but rather statements of unknown veracity being claimed to impress people to make a purchase.

18. thecornman

thecornman Member

As a long time user I can report the side effects that I have from it are that I have a lot less chronic pain to deal with on a daily basis which makes me a much more productive person when it comes to getting day to day activities done, I sleep better when using then when not, it helps open my mind when creating, it helps relieve the stress at the end of the day from a high pressure demanding job and I have zero hang over the next day.

As far as all the bad side effects I hear from people that are clearly against it I have not experienced any of them in the 30 plus years of doing it. I never miss work or am I ever late, because of doing it the night before (can not say the same for the drinkers that work here), I don't live in my moms basement, play video games all day and munch on things, never wanted to start doing meth or crack to step up to something stronger and I don't look like I have aged in 15 years.

I really don't care if someone else does not want to do it, but it is not up to them to judge me or tell me that I should not be doing it. Freedom of choice thank you. Anyone who drinks and has a problem with it can stfu though. Alcohol causes way more problems in society and destroys more lives then pot ever has, but it seems to get a free ride from all the conservative old school thinkers out there.

vr6pilot, snook6 and Ampedusa like this.
  19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

These are my thoughts, as well.

StanG and cogan like this.
  20. cogan

cogan Member

The common association is that it chills you out, but THC exposure actually increases heart rate in many people. The risk of stroke goes up as well.

StanG, PLX and A-Bone like this.