1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Rectifier Education.......can u help pls?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Bradders, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hi, I'd appreciate a bit of help and education if someone would oblige.

I have a new Bad Cat Black Cat - and have read somewhere that I can switch the recto tubes in the following way:
    1. either 1 * 5AR4 - a tighter punchier sound which is in there now OR
    2. 2*5V4Gs which will give me more sag (similar to my Clubman - which actually has a 5AR4!!!) ( the chassis has a spare socket next to the 5AR4 that's in there right now)

Can anyone substantiate this please?

Also as I'll be ending up with a "dual rectifer" ( yikes) - what will 2 recto tubes do for me over one......apart from twice as much rectification...:jo ....what does this actually mean and what'll it do to the sound?

thanks ------- Bradz.

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

no one? Surely someone has an idea, come on fellas, you're killing me! :)

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If nobody pipes up I'll wager a guess on Monday. :)

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I thought I had answered this already...maybe on another forum?

Yes, 2 5V4s are reported to have more sag, earlier breakup and less tight lows than 5AR4s. Beyond that, you'll have to hear it for yourself.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

Mike - you partially answered the question in an email...thank you ...however, as you may note I am looking for more information as I sent in my mail so thought I'd ask generally .....