1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Rectifier Plate Voltage Difference

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Red Planet, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Doing a littlee messing around with my Bias Rite today.

A while back I had picked up a Sovtek 5Y3 for my SDG Vintage Tweed Proluxe (w/6L6's). The NOS Tung Sol that came with it was acting up a little and I just picked up a cheapo for the moment. The other day I picked up a NOS Sylvania from Jeff Andrews.

Anyway I had commented to Jeff that the Sovtek Sounded like a Solid State Rectifier to me and now I think I see why. Just in going from the Sovtek to the Sylvania there was a 20 ma drop or so.

It seems to me the New Production Sovtek is hot as a firecracker and the NOS rectifiers are much more reserved.

Whats the reason for this? Different design? New Production?

I had noticed the major difference in going from the Tung Sol to the Sovtek and a very similar difference between it and the Syvania.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

60 Volt drop from what. I'm missin something here. I had a 5Y3 in it and a 5Y3 in it and a 5Y3 in it. Yes I rebiased at every change. Even stuck some 6V6's in it this afternoon.

3. markdurham

markdurham Member

The Sovtek 5Y3 is a russian tube that isn't an exact copy of a NOS 5Y3, and it is much stiffer than a NOS 5Y3. It will give you a higher plate voltage with the same current draw. IMO, it would be a better choice to use with 6L6's, but you may like the extra sag of the NOS 5Y3.
    markd

4. KLB

KLB Member

By the way, once upon a time Sovtek stuffed it's 5Y3 guts inside a tube they labeled as a 5AR4. The plate volts were too low for a 5AR4. I scored a minty JTM-45 Reissue for cheap because the seller didn't realize the problem with this tube and wondered why this particular amp sounded so weak and sagged so much (compared to a real 5AR4.) When I put in a correct 5AR4 and rebiased, the problem was solved.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah those 5Y3's can make for some serious Sag.