Rectoverb 25 combo... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by somedude, Aug 18, 2016.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I played a Rectoverb 25 combo yesterday. I expected to hate it. I figured it'd have boxy mids and a farty bottom end due to the small open back cab.

I didn't hate it. The mids were forward, but not overly boxy... and while the bottom end wasn't solid, it wasn't really all that mushy either. I wound up having a pretty favourable impression and liked the uniqueness of the sound.

What I'm worried about is how it will sound at a proper volume. I demoed the amp at what I'll call "guitar store loud" while locked in an acoustically dry broom closet of a demo room and sitting on a stool that's about 16 inches in front of a 1x12 that's sitting on the ground. Not exactly realistic conditions. I'm worried that as the volume goes up the amp will become more boxy and the low end will become less defined.

Anyway... any thoughts on the combo version specifically? How'd it work/not work for you?

TubeStack likes this.
  2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Funny, I expected to love it and hated it. I found it to be thin, honky in the mids, and just generally unpleasant. To me it really sound and felt choked off with such a small can size. Couldn't balance the two channels satisfactorily either. I also found the reverb to be insanely over the top, it was either off or at full dick dale surf with barely a touch in the knob.

I love Mesa, I've had one from almost every line and I love the 50 watt recto verb from back in the day but I honestly just really, really hated the ROV 25 combo

I should add that the ROV 25 head sounds great running through a 2x12 or 4x12 but the combo is just such a huge flop for me.

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I don't own the combo but the ROV 25 head and even through a little 1x12 it is thick, not honky and really full sounding. Like a little amp that wants to run with the big guys. It's unlike many other small EL84 amps I've tried that are a bit shy in the bottom end and lack thickness (though that doesn't necessarily make them bad amps - they were often good in their own right).

It would be a shame if the combo changed the formula so much as I'm a big fan of mine already.

Through a 4x12 the head is loud. So far I've only played it at home but it's got some serious balls and volume for a little amp. Louder than I expected compared to the other 15 watters I've owned/played. Seems more like AC30 level loud to me.

4. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

The problem with the mini rectos is that they don't sound like the big rectos. They sound similar, but they don't have the big iron sound behind them and whether one wants to or not, I think it is impossible to escape the "recto sound" expectation one has when playing a recto. Even if one knows full well it is a mini one with different power tubes.

I wish they had a mini roadster that actually sounds like the roadster, but in a smaller package. That would be awesome.

5. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I'm glad it doesn't sound like a Roadster. I like my ROV25 better than the Roadster.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've run my Revtoverb 25 through both a 50 watt 6L6 and 140w EL34 power sections.

It gets some serious balls from the bigger power sections (EL34's were particularly impressive) but it still sounds like a recto with the EL84's IMHO. Just less grirth and fullness as you'd expect. It's not exactly a wall flower for a small bottle amp though!

My amp is quiet; no hum or odd noises with transformers.

I think the Vintage/Modern is the best aspect of the amp now. Cleans are also strong. Add a boost and it's a little beast.

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Different tastes. That is why I returned the mini recto I had, because it doesn't quite sound like the real thing.

8. somedude

somedude Member

Played it again today. Again, I'm impressed with it.

The combo sounded best for old school guitar tones. Made things authentically mid heavy with the open back looseness. Also great for lead, but higher gain rhythm work tended to sound a bit congested through the mids and lacked articulation.

The 1x12 extension cab sounded best for new school guitar tones. More scooped, more biting top end, more thump on the low end. Great for clarity/accuracy... not as rich sounding for lead or pushed rhythm.

I A/B'd the ROV against the Mini-Recto. Both were great but I preferred the ROV. Seemed a bit smoother.

Still undecided over combo vs head/cab....

lowpaygigs likes this.
  9. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I had the combo for a week and returned it. It was way too boxy sounding for me. It was great when I played it as a head through my 2x12, but that little combo cabinet is horrifically voiced for that amp. It sounded even more boxy than my '77 1x8" SF Vibro Champ. The only reason I didn't exchange it for the head/cab was because I was in need of a grab and go combo. It was a very versatile amp, but I couldn't live with it as a combo. I've since tried the Mark V:35 and it suffers from the same disease. If I were to ever buy a mesa again it would have to be a head/cab or full sized combo.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  10. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

I also prefer the small rectifiers compared to the big normal ones.

11. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Mesa 1x12 cabs are big and allow nice dynamics. Those little combos are tight buggers. Plus they are open back, which might not be the best complement.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  12. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

According to mesa mini rc and rov25 are the same amp but for reverb. Of course, every amp has a fingerprint. Your assessement about combo vs head and cab sounds is pretty dead on. Hope you land a nice rig. You can always add an extension cab!

13. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

This was my experience, a lot of hum, too many knobs etc... but then again I like the Tiny terror combo and thats pretty simple. I really like my AC30 as well, not a Mesa guy I guess but a lot of folks like the RV25- I would try it extensively before buying.

14. jpage

jpage Member

Well, he didn't say anything about knobs lol. Too many knobs? The amp has Master, Presence, TMB, and gain. That's too many knobs? Do you think they should have passed on the Presence lol?

DreamTheaterRules and AshMaui like this.
  15. somedude

somedude Member

I don't really want this thread degrading into another "too many knobs" debate. He's entitled to his opinion.

DV52 likes this.
  16. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

I have the head and 1x12 slant cab. Owned it for 2 years going. Still my favorite amp I've had. I did try the combo version to demo a guitar after owning the head/cab and like the head/cab way more. The 2x12 vertical cab opens it up even more. I do not notice hum. There may be a little in 10W mode if you play quiet but I don't keep it quiet for long. I have had amps with way more hum. Amps have had vol, tree, mid, bass, presence, master for a loooong time. This just has two rows of them. :)

17. somedude

somedude Member

Is there any sonic difference between the slant and straight 1x12s? Or is it purely cosmetic?

18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Sure, of course. I like the EL84 sound when paired with a high gain preamp.

I'll respectively disagree with it not sounding like the "real thing" though. There is no real thing, just different models that sound different. Randall has been doing EL84 amps for close to 30 years now.

19. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

The slant has the speaker angled upward a little. Other than that it's the same. The rectifier 1x12 is different than the mini rectifier 1x12s.

20. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

This is such a great description of trying out an amp in a music store... been there... :rotflmao :beer

jpage likes this.